Starry Starry Night

                                                               Starry Starry Night
                                                                     14"x11"
                                                                     Acrylic
                                                       

                              HAPPY 4TH OF JULY!!!

And it seemed appropriate for today to have a fireworks sky full of stars and color.  So here is a celestial sky piece starting off another series to compliment the moon series.

This is a composition piece from several photographs, put together in a photo editor, to try to visualize it before I started painting it.  The photo editor, still have lots to learn on it, but it really helped me decide things and not make a major uncorrectable mistake.  My initial idea was to paint the dress red, but when I sort of made that happen in the editor, and a friend helped me confirm, that white really was the way to go as it added more to the picture.  Catastrophe avoided.

I did work on canvas again, but started this time with three coats of gesso, sanding in between layers. So I started out with a much smoother surface which worked better for me.  I used another technique for doing this sky and will have to do several more before I think I begin to feel comfortable with it.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

Helen said…
How did you do the stars? I did a night sky painting today and used a toothpick. I saw a Youtube video on using wet paint on a brush then tapping it to sort of sprinkle the paint. I was afraid of that one.
hmuxo said…
And a beautiful sky it is. Nelvia! Lovely piece!!!! Happy 4th....
Nelvia said…
I did use the brush, very wet paint and pull tip toward you. But I cover everything under it first. Did several layers. Here is a story for you. One of the photos I used, the girl,is the photographers daughter. But her son just came back from Arches National Park. I used three photos for this and isn't that uncanny?
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda I am really enjoying trying to get these skies.so many different ways to do it.
This is fabulous Nelvia! Well done!!!!
Sheila said…
Wonderful work!
Joan Tavolott said…
Lovely!!! I agree that the dress works best in white. I think red would have given it an entirely different feel. Love the skies you are doing!
Jane said…
Love this, wonderful painting , so very suggestive !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo