Male acrylic portrait


This is my attempt at last weeks lesson by Sabra Awlad Issa.   And wow, what a powerful lesson it was.  While I wasn't able to totally go abstract and loose I think I really captured the essence of there person.  I am not sure whether it is the reference, or the techniques (some of which I was able to use), but in the end I think it comes off as a very solid strong presence.  I saw that as well in the other student pictures.   I don't feel so bad as really no one was able to pull off what the teacher did.

I have to realize that I am going to pick up and utilize what I can and flow it into how I paint.  I will try again I am sure to come up with something more abstract, but for now, this is the best I can do.  

What's different in this is that it started with an underpainting.   Oh, I know about underpainting, but I don't always start with it.   Well, I should.   While it is pretty ugly and loose it does get mid tones, darks and lights down and sets the substrate for what's to come next.  So actually ended up doing a type of grisaille.  But instead of just light and dark I was trying to work with temperatures.  He actually was quite a bit more in shadow, but I really liked those penetrating eyes and wanted them to stand out a bit more than the reference.   Anyway, who says the reference is right??

Also I painted using a rag.   Yep a rag, got to let the paint dry in it as down the road it will create more textures.  So, now my hubby's underwear could be in jeopardy!!!   Ok, more info than you may have wanted.

Also working on new watercolor paper, Kilimanjaro Watercolor Paper, and I have to say I like it.   It is cold pressed but still really smooth.  Think I am going to like working with it because, even though it is 140lb, it didn't buckle while on the pad.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Sheila said…
Fabulous work Nelvia! I am glad you used less shadow. The light throughout is wonderful. Interested to learn more about the paper. As you work with it ;) Enjoy!
laurelle said…
Your portrait is wonderful!
Wow - what a powerful portrait. I don't know what the reference or the lesson subject look like but this is great Nelvia - well done!
Helen said…
You must surely be your teacher's favorite student!
carol edan said…
Yes, she is an excellent teacher. On PYHAS we also had a lesson on male portraits. Love the dynamic of your portrait.
hmuxo said…
AMAZING portrait Nelvia. His hands are OUTSTANDING.. I love this one.
Joan Tavolott said…
I think this is wonderful! I'm glad you weren't able to make it abstract!!! This one is really one of my favorites.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo