Spirit Keeper acrylic portrait indian eagle

Spirit Keeper
One of the things I enjoy about art is that I have to constantly learn things.  When doing this painting I wanted to portray a young Indian who would learn the tribes tradition, culture, language, spiritual teaching and respect for animals.   I couldn't think of a title that would convey he would be the person to take it to the future, The Hope, just seemed too generic.  I looked up the Cherokee word for hope, but it is a string of letters no one would know.  Since most of the native historical traditions are oral I next went to learning about the storytellers.   Storytellers are a key person in the tribe and impact their knowledge to the future generations through the native schools.   That led to me understand how desperate the US government had been to stamp out and eradicate all indian cultures.  It is truly shameful.

this is acrylic and I played around with the bokeh background to keep it simple and the focus on the connection between the boy and the eagle.   An eagle feather is a sacred precious gift in most tribes.  My husband is convinced that the eagle is attacking the boy, but I prefer to think he is protecting the knowledge this child already has.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
I love looking at the story this one tells. Nice job, Nelvia!
laurelle said…
One of my favorites of your artworks, Nelvia. I love the narrative and the beautiful way you've painted both the eagle and the boy.
Sheila said…
I see it as an embrace. Protection. Could be a spirit animal that only the boy sees, his inner power. I love how you have portrayed the eagle, less is more really works here. The look on the boys face suggests wisdom beyond his years. And that suggest a connection to the spiritual world. It was wonderful watching it come to life, and I think it is one of you best ever. Bravo Nelvia! :)
A wonderful painting Nelvia and the eagle would have an open beak and extended claws if attacking so you are right and hubby is wrong - lol.
hmuxo said…
Nice work and I love the title.... Beautiful work on the Eagle as well.....
Joan Tavolott said…
It is like the eagle has him wrapped in his protective wings. Lovely! It tells a story.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo