In the Garden

In the Garden
Acrylic
11"x14"
Been a while since I have shown my blog some love.  All of a sudden the skies have opened and we are getting lots and lots of rain - probably close to 6" in 3 days.  It has broken the spell of 90s that we have had so it is  much appreciated by the plants/grass for the wet and me for a reduction of temps.

So it was time to play a bit using a couple of new toys I have gotten.  Still working on textures and using a palette knife.  I used some stencil in this as well to add in extra texture marks.  Big concern here is whether or not I ended up with two focal points using the rule of thirds - Your thoughts please.

I also broke down and got a pthalo turquoise and a gold (not tried that yet) as well as some new brushes and replacement colors.   Finally have painted enough that I have worked my way through some of the original acrylic tubes.  

Hope it adds some color to your day and thanks much to stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Helen said…
I love everything about this one. I love the color combinations.... the sharp and the blurred edges... the bottom one falling out the corner... Very nice.
Sheila said…
I don't think focal points is the problem. Well, maybe. I see the two lower blooms as closer to me. Actually I am saying it wrong. I think those two should be closer. But the top bloom is reading as forward as well, and I think it should be a little further back. Is that what you intended? Also, if that is sky at the top, I think it needs a little more light. Not a whole lot. I just feel that the blooms are Light, and the rest is dark. Maybe there is too much of a contrast.
Having said all that. I do love the depth. I love your blooms, and the suggestion of stems and leaves and plants and smaller flowers. The textures are nice, makes me feel like I AM in the garden, and I just want to take it all in :)
Nelvia said…
I really wanted some depth in this one and am happy with the textures. Glad yiu are seeing what I am hoping to convey
Nelvia said…
Thanks Sheila, exactly what we am looking for. I tried the sky holes lighter and didn’t think it looked right. Got to ponder how to make the flowers read better, yellow was closest, left flower middle and top rarest back. I gut be as simple as having some grass cross the top flower. So appreciate your thoughts.
The different comments are almost as interesting as your painting Nelvia. I must say that I don't like the third flower. Its placement may be OK but the colour is wrong. That is the only place in the painting where the colour appears and I find it totally distracting. The rest of the painting I really like and instead of thinking sky with the light blue I am seeing Forget me nots. Great job and I am glad for you that your temps have cooled and you got some rain - have a great weekend.
Joan Tavolott said…
Nelvia, first off I really love the textures and the imperfections that you put in the leaves. They are so much more interesting that way. I do find that the yellow one on the bottom pulls too much attention from the rest of the painting. If I cover it up with my hand there is more harmony in the rest of it. Maybe the third flower needs to be in the same colors as the other flowers do that your eye isn't so distracted. Secondly, the background is so amazing!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo