New Framing Experiment

Seeing Red

I have been searching for a framing alternative for the works I do on paper.   Why do I use paper? Well,  I guess because I always have and it was easier to throw away a piece of paper versus a canvas.  But primarily it is a lot easier to store and ship something on paper rather than canvas boards or stretched canvas.  But I have always felt the downside was that additional framing costs could prohibit a person from buying a piece.  Not only is it more expensive but you either have to do it yourself or pay a framer to do it for you.  This looks more like a floating frame and actually could be framed if you choose.

So, I think, I might have found a solution that I could implement that could make a paper piece "ready-to-hang", and do it at a reasonable cost.  This is my hibiscus, painted on Canson canvas paper, and a linen-like textured surface.  During and after the painting process I used varnish coats (I used gloss, ain't gonna do that again) which really kept the paper flexible, not wanting to warp when water was added, and sealed the acrylic.  I then painted the edges and sides of a canvas, slightly larger than the paper.  Then I adhered the paper to the canvas, originally I had it white, but think the black actually looks more like a frame.  Since I just got 7 more canvas I guess I will probably do 7 more of these in any case - or 7 more of something!!  Another positive to this is that you can use odd-size paper sizes and end result is a standard size painting that could be framed if desired.  Also you can experiment and adjust the side of the "mat" to get different looks, i.e. a miniature picture could be done and pasted so that the top and bottom edges are much wider.

 I think it gives a nice clean contemporary look to the piece - what are your thoughts?

Comments

hmuxo said…
Since I mostly paint with pastels, I just mat and gently cover the piece with glassine paper so not to smudge the piece... I tape all around and ship without framing since as you know it needs glass. Framing is personal so I leave it up to the customer.... Very interesting post Nelvia!!! Thanks for posting.....
Super painting Nelvia and I think your 'framing' idea looks super too.
Nelvia said…
I always tell myself that as well, but I wonder if it puts people off. I guess the tell will be if there is any interest. Like you I don't fix and when I send to anyone I always give them a sheet of instructions for the framer, even if it turns out to be them. I always wondered if I should include a mat, guess if I did then I'd have to learn how to use the mat cutter I have had for years and never used.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Val, I like some other ideas I have for varying the paper size to the canvas, will be interesting to see what, if anything happens.
Joan Tavolott said…
I really like the look of it. I like the black edging. How do you adhere it to the canvas? I only sell and ship paintings that are in mats. It is far too expensive to ship things already in a frame and then often the buyer wants to change the frame. I try to make sure to do paintings that when they are matted will fit in a standard frame. Then the buyer can easily frame it themselves if they don't want to take it to be frame.
Sheila said…
Love it! I usually prefer clean over fussy. But it does depend on the workbeing framed :)
Nelvia said…
I used matte medium as the glue, the process is from Bob Burridge, on YouTube, think it is #72, he goes through the process. He also adheres now to wood cradle boards, but they are a lot more expensive. I haven’t shipped framed or matted, bu tried to do standard sizes too. Always justified it as buyers preference, but always wondered if that put people off. So this is much lower cost than framing and I think still presents a nice clean look. I have one now I am experimenting with leaving larger amount of canvas around pic so see how that is received.
Nelvia said…
I agree simple is usually much better and I th o this is kind of contemporary. Just added out to my Etsy and FASO sits so will be interested to see what if any reaction

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo