Sunlit Poppies

Sunlit Poppies
It always seems to be the case that when I finish a piece I am happy with, the next one is a real struggle.  So this is no exception.  I did try something different in that I underpainted cad red and it does peek through in some places.  Then I was off to the bokeh races, and started with sunshine colors, or maybe that was sunset/sunrise, didn't like it, so changed it up to blue skies, didn't like that and now am going in the sunshine yellow direction.  Think I will stay with this, but definitely lightening it from the top down, but still fading off to the left with darker colors.  

I bought a new medium dagger brush and I think I am in love.  It is synthetic and holds a lot of water and paint.  I think I confused it with a cat's tongue, but so glad I did as it does a wonderful job and made the foliage so easily.   So yes, the right tools do make all the difference.  Don't know where I have been, but guess I need to take a harder look at brushes and see what else I should be trying.  

Also I don't normally work on the focal points until the background is in.   But since I have been struggling with the sky I thought adding the first poppy might help me in deciding what direction to take.  

Also duh, found a new picture taking spot, lots of natural light on my front porch.  Don't have to walk very far and the colors come out pretty close to reality without having to edit.  

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.





Comments

hmuxo said…
It's coming along beautifully Nelvia!! To me the hardest subject to paint would be flowers! You do amazing work. I look forward to seeing the finished painting!!!!
Thanks for sharing your WIP pics, Nelvia. I can see the struggle with this one and although I liked the blue sky the foliage does show better with the yellow. I guess I will have to look up dagger brush and cat's tongue - never really thought of brushes having names - lol. Have a good weekend.
Sheila said…
Love it so far Nelvia :)
Nelvia said…
I have had the same drawback on flowers, but just trying to draw shapes. Thanks for your comments me friend
Nelvia said…
Yeah I feel kind of dumb after all these years I really haven’t experimented with brush types. Well duh, it paints the picture for you. Working on it again as I finally got the direction I want to go. But inside I am not as happy with this picture or as in sync as the magnolias.
Nelvia said…
I need to think about loving it more it might translate
Joan Tavolott said…
Nice start to this! You are doing so well with these.

Popular posts from this blog

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo