Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

Her Highness
 

I just absolutely loved the expression on this lady and knew I wanted to try to capture her elegance and serenity.  I knew that I didn't want an exact portrait and decided to try another mixed media piece.  

 I added blobs of paint and used my large scraper to make the areas of color.  Just put paint on a piece of watercolor paper.  Then I inscribed and mixed the colors together with the end of my brush and got all the wavy lines (in real life they actually stand up so there is a 3D effect to the background).  Where I thought I wanted the face I really scraped most of the paint off, and ended up with color blotches and tones, and if you look in the forehead you can sort of see the design that was left.  I thought it would add some variance to the skin tones.

I also want to keep her very soft so I tried to stay in the pastel tones, even with the lips.   Once I got shadows and lights added in, and went over it with some skin tone and more blue colors I let it dry completely.  At that point I started adding pan, soft and pencil pastels.

At first I was a bit worried but ended up really like all the scribbly lines which I  think add some energy and movement but don't really detract from her face.  I also purposefully just hinted at her hair because again I wanted the focus on her face.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

Helen said…
I really do like that background idea. I also love how it comes on in to the image joining her hair.
carol edan said…
Beautiful! Love the textures and the color-mixing!
Sheila said…
She looks even better on the big screen! I think the texture and pattern in her face is an asset. He hair is perfect, and again, I love those marks Nelvia! Beautiful! (ps, I found your letter and address today. LOL)
hmuxo said…
You did an incredible job on this portrait Nelvia. WOW!!! You're getting better with every portrait you do. I love the color in her face reflected from the background...very painterly!!!!
Nelvia said…
I too like the way that came together, it kind of looks like the crown or tiara she has in the picture. But I really liked how it also hit well at the neckline. Happy accident. I am just going with the flow with these, for me it is hard to do, but once I get going it just kind of happens. Thanks Helen.
Nelvia said…
Morning Carol. Thank you so much, a lot of the color mixing is happening because of the underpainting. I am trying to use mostly transparent colors or small amounts of gesso to opaque it down. Then when I put on the pastel, as you know, it doesn't cover everything so the paper texture really helps. I do like how the underneath comes through and the textures I never used to like. Isn't that strange how you change?
Nelvia said…
No problem, you should have gotten it via email too. If you didn't I guess my wifi isn't worked out yet!! Thank you Sheila, I like the textures too, even the random color in her skin tones worked well. I really like how it shines through.
Nelvia said…
Thank you Hilda, yes in some ways I think I am improving. I am trying out different techniques to see if I can capture a better likeness, but not make a slave painting. I do want it to be a painting. I am glad you like the colors in it, I tried to keep them soft so I could incorporate them and was very pleased with the results on this one.
Jane said…
You definitely nailed the look , beautiful portrait of a classy lady.
Joan Tavolott said…
This came out so good. I'm glad to see it here so I can see the background texture in her face...I like that. Well done!!!
Lovely colours in the piece Nelvia. I think the mauve tones work so well with her expression. I am not too sure about the scratches but imagine it adds more in person. Well done!
Nelvia said…
Thanks Jane, I am enjoying these portraits and mixing things up to get the look I am after. Don't know what has taken me so long to do it.
Nelvia said…
I don't know why but I am definitely now on a texture kick. I have been watching the journalists, they do a lot of mark making and layering. I really am liking that look since I started using it on the abstracts. I just worry though it might get too busy and detract from the portraits. But you don't know until you push if you went too far.
Nelvia said…
My hubby didn't care for the scratches either, but I am sticking with it as I think it adds pattern for the dress and I might have gone a bit overboard on the hair. Of course when I am working on the background I am never sure which way it will be turned to put the portrait on, so .... But I really like the palette in this piece and how the underpainting pattern comes through in the skin tones.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo