Poppies figure study with flower

Poppies
At the beginning of the year I treated myself to a new sketchbook, one that had thicker pages designed to take mixed media.  I promised myself that I would work in it on a regular basis as a way to work out ideas and to gage improvement.  So today was spent noodling around.

This is kind of a surreal piece in that the girl is emerging from the flower.  I had some ideas for the background, but changed them up multiple times and ended up with a bokeh effect.  I love painting poppies as they are just so charming and you get to use all that RED.  I like this girl too as I was trying to get some energy and movement, and also her head tilt was quite a challenge.  Remember, that while this picture is 11"x14" her entire head length is less than an inch.   So it was quite the challenge to get the features in and still try to make it look like her head is tilted up and she is looking down.  Think I need to try that on a larger head - what do you think?

Thanks much for stopping by and hoping we have an exciting Masters golf tournament!!   Guess what I am doing.  

Comments

Helen said…
I do like how her dress seems to almost be a petal.
And, yes, it is fun to paint with red. I just don't seem to get to enough.
Sheila said…
This is wonderful! I love the shapes under the flower. The petal outline. Love everything about the flower and the woman, and the subtlety of the effect. Bravo! :)
Another wow piece Nelvia. I think you did great job on the face and I can see a large one in your future - lol.
hmuxo said…
Beautiful painting Nelvia! I love those vibrant reds!!!!!
Joan Tavolott said…
I like that she seems to be an outgrowth of the poppy...interesting look. You have a lot of detail in her face especially thinking about how small the head actually is. Nicely done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo