The Blue Hat pastel portrait

The Blue Hat



Just a bit of playing in the art room today.  Started the morning off at 1:30am with a tremendous and unexpected thunderstorm.   It come so fast, rained so hard that I thought it was going to come through  the roof.  

Since I haven't been using my soft pastels they were getting a bit unruly, so thought I better give this girl another go.  Used black paper.  I wanted to still try to have her emerge on the dark background, but felt it was just too stark and empty so added the blue on the left side.  I got a better image of flowers for the hat and added her 3D dress.  The dress is part of a is a napkin, collaged and then I painted and pastel over it to try to tame it down so it would fit better into the composition.  Just wanted to see if I could add curves and fold texture and, if so, how it would it look.   I do think you can still tell it is not flat on the paper.   But I don't think it stands up so much that you couldn't frame it with mat and glass/acrylic.  I have some ideas of things I might want to do using that effect or more texture paste.

One thing I really wanted to do was not blend - it is my pastel custom and I usually don't like to see the strokes - so if anything I really tried to emphasize the marks in her complexion, etc.  But got to tell you my fingers are itching to smooth it out.  

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

carol edan said…
I love the texture of the un-smoothed pastels! Don't you dare!
Sheila said…
I had to zoom in to see what her dress was made of. I love that texture, and want to reach out and touch it ;) Her eyes are so soulful Nelvia. I love the energy in the flowers, and the marks are wonderful this way. Take Carol's cue, and leave it. :) WOW... Sounds like a major storm!
I'm with you on smoothing her skin tones although the colours you choose are great. I like the effect of the napkin too.

Popular posts from this blog

Shades of Pink

Nicolae's GF Laughing Giraffe mixed media portrait

Day 10 30 Day Challenge Molten Gold pastel landscape