Watercolor Survival portrait

Ok, I made it, I survived the watercolor segment of my course.   I got to say though that I am really glad that it is done and only am dreading one more segment, the one in oils.   I have learned that I can do watercolor but I like bolder color (though looking at this one it this is pretty pastelish) and I like to keep my watercolor pretty dry.  I haven't really learned the aspect of mixing color on the paper.   I did leave the layers more prominent in this painting and still not super sure that I like it, but, well, it is a watercolor look.

I have to admit that this has taken me all week to get the up courage to have a go at this.  And, if it hasn't been a 1920's look I probably would have passed this lesson and painted some of the other ideas that I have been toying with in my head.  However, this lesson did give me the opportunity to try something I have been thinking of, utilizing Pinterest, and that is flowered fabrics and wallpapers for the backgrounds.  Think you are going to see more of that in the future as I kind of like the look.

Anyway besides the watercolors, this has got a bit of metallic gold and the dress is overwashed in metallic silver.  These are both Liquitex Basic paints.   I really do like the gold, but I am less than impressed with the silver.  But once these tubes are gone I will be trying some others just for comparison.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look


Comments

Sheila said…
Love it Nelvia! I love the "Band Of Gold", and the flowers. Her pose is lovely, it's beautiful all around. I was thinking a bit of gold would be lovely, in the band, and in the centers of the flowers. Slight hints. It is a shame that metallics never show well ;) If you want to soften, all it takes is a damp brush, just going over the edges until you are happy with them. I have really enjoyed your works from class, thanks for sharing them with us :)
carol edan said…
It is absolutely lovely. Good luck with the oils!
This is super Nelvia! I like the effect you got with the background. I think you did really well with the watercolours and you need to remember that not every one has to paint the same way. that is why they call it 'artistic licence' - lol.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo