Kharys

How do you watercolor people do it?  Ok, you got to understand that this comes from a person who got in line twice for hips because I thought patience sounded boring.  But this really makes you start, stop, wait, hit it, stop wait, etc.....

I have been trying to get Kharys on paper for quite a while.  I have been trying since I originally drew up Jania to get a decent starting drawing for a picture.  I knew right away that Kharys was going to be the toughest of the two girls because I just couldn't get her eyes quite right - she has these elfin eyes, at least in this reference.  But thought today would be my waterloo, as I am not excited about Pink or Triumphant, I was going to conquer Kharys.  Yeah, hold that thought.

Then I thought I'd make it more difficult and would try her in watercolor (been watching YouTube videos again!!  Boy they make it look easy)  Ok, so watercolor isn't something you just decide to start without lots of practice, say 10 or 15 years.  Anyway, thought ok, I'll really work this wet into wet - can you say buckle??  Buckled paper, even after I washed both sides, taped it down so it couldn't move (yes it did), waited forever for it to dry.  Started the first couple of trys and they went into the trash.  Then I got this far and thought I'd stop while I was ahead. I still don't have her eyes yet, maybe the next go round.  They say it gets easier the more you do a subject, so both the girls will be done until I feel I have gotten them.  I am hoping for a long life at this point.

This indeed was a learning experience.  Man, it takes FOREVER, even with the blow dryer to get the paper not wet once you don't want it really wet.  But you want it wet, especially for a child as you don't want hard edges.  Also, am using a sponge to absorb some of the water out of the brush before I put it to paper and still it tends to be too much.  Oh yeah, did I mention that the paper tends to take dents, and once it buckles it then decides to wrinkle and make creases.  Yes, this is watercolor paper, but maybe I should look around for a different type.

But I am pretty happy actually with the skin tones.  As I said I was YouTubing and Art Food Kitty was using orange/purple in varying tones and then going over the highlights with a yellow glaze.  Not sure yet I was using the correct brushes, they think big - I think I tend to go too small trying to control this.  Boy is that a laugh , with water slopping all over, who the heck can control it.  Ok, it wasn't slopping off the table or anything, but it was pretty darn moist - it was a great place to make mud.

But I got through it, I survivied and will have another go at something else to keep me out of trouble for the rest of the day.

Thanks for stopping by and have a great week.


Comments

hmuxo said…
You made me laugh, Nelvia. It came out very nice! I can't imagine painting a portrait with watercolors! You're skin tones are lovely!
Jane said…
Sounds like quite a fight, but the result is really fine , and again, I love the way you paint the eyes, so intense !
Nelvia said…
Glad you had to smile, at times you just have to have humor, so I was a bit silly. Yes, I am really pleased with the skin colors, just wish I could grab the likeness. Am going to give a rest and then try again maybe next week, I still have the back of the paper :)
Nelvia said…
Yes a battle, who says this is restful? I guess you have to fight it sometimes to get to the result? I think the eyes are my favorite part. But I have yet to match your blues ones :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo