Licorce ACEOs

Not having any formal art education I tend to do a lot of reading to learn techniques, gain ideas, be awed by what others are doing, and get inspiration.  So I gave myself this year, 2014, to just try anything before I settle down into something and stick with it (whatever that might be).  Anyway I am reading an e-book from Nicole Caulfield about how she uses color pencil on sanded paper.  She creates portraits that look like Rembrandt, using the fade-too-dark edges and dramatic lighting - believe it or not, with color pencils.  I have worked with pastel for many years, but very little with sanded paper, pastels is the main media using this type of support, or so I thought.  Hilda - do you use it?  If so what brand do you utilize.
There are only several types of sanded paper out there (yes, it is an archival type of the sand paper found in hardware stores) from moderately expensive to what I call expensive, $10/sheet.  However, you can make your own.  Many manufacturers have pumice gel, Colorfix with color added, or you can use Clear Gesso.  Trick is to get it on evenly, and not create a pattern, however many of the manufacturered papers have a built-in pattern too, so.....  Also because it is abrasive, figured it would chew up the pastels or CP.  But oh boy, once it is on the paper, it pretty much holds it with no dust flying around like on a less toothy paper.
Anyway, there is an excellent pastel tutorial from one of the best, Diana Ponting, which can be found at Wetcanvas under pastels/Soft Pastel Learning Center (actually while I was just looking I found another one from her) and she did a larger piece of these candies on a plate/tablecloth.  I always wanted to give that a try because, yep, I just love the colors.  So here are two ACEOs (because they are small and go fast) where I tested on black paper how pastels (top photo) and color pencil (bottom photo) would lay down on sanded paper.
According to Nicole, I really needed to do the color pencil using the polychromos pencils - I have some, didn't use them, but need to dig them out and try again.  She says (and I need to keep reading her generous e-book techniques) that the poly pencils can be moved around and blended like pastels, however the main color pencils, like Prismacolors tend to just fill in the paper.  And I found that to be true, that after about 3 layers it just gets waxy and colors tend now to not change.  Again, I found that on black, it tends to eat the richness of the color pencils and even the pastels.
Another experiment for color pencil is to use either a wash of watercolor or acrylic as base coat and then try CP on top, should shorten the process and get to dark colors faster. 
Another advantage to sanded paper supports is that you can put down a layer of pastels.  I think, to help eliminate the rough look, then use rubbing alcohol to smoosh the pastel around and create a base coat that now fills in the pores of the paper and put additional layers on top.  Many folks put in the color complements as the base and then allow them to peek through the final layers, unifying the painting.  So, yep, you got it, on my trial and error "to do" list.
Got one more thing to do with this subject, I can get these at the Dollar Store, so going to have to do from "life" drawings, and of course have to eat them after completed.  Waste not, want not!!!!!  :) :)
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great week.

Comments

Jane said…
Interesting reading Nelvia, so many things to learn , so much inspiration and never enough time ! Oh and these sweets have always been my big favorites, the painting makes my mouth water , you painted them beautifully !!
Those look good enough to eat!!
We always buy these when we go camping,of course just for the grandchildren...LOL
hmuxo said…
The licorice looks delicious, Nelvia. The sanded paper gives it texture. I've used colorfix sandpaper before...I apply all my values first then I apply alcohol...it's amazing how it comes to life. I've never painted a portrait on sandpaper...I would imagine it would eat up the pencils or pastels...but for a landscape it really works well.
Nancy Goldman said…
These look great Nelvia. I've never tried colored pencils on sanded paper. Yet another experiment to try....
Enjoy eating your still life.
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, it always amazes me what people are doing, and doing so well. MKes me feel like a slacker. I have to get these and draw from life as I just love the colors. In the tutorial Diana did beautiful reflections as well.
Nelvia said…
Good thing the grandkids go,along and just happen to like these. We always had licorice, but not like these, either strings or like Good n Plentys, which I just happen to,have so maybe I should try a pic of them?
Nelvia said…
I did another ACEO where I put in colors and the did the alcohol as the base. I think it is a bit smoother but think it would have been a more successful experiment if I did something larger. Karen Marguiles, an excellent pastel eat here in Atlanta does lovely landscapes using that technique. Got to try to get my mind around landscapes.
Nelvia said…
Yeah there should be some advantages for us starving artists!! Yes I am going to look at that sanded paper a bit more. I put some clear gesso on Stonehenge to see how bad it would buckle and am going to try to do some color swatches with some of the polls I have. Of course I don't have the right kind or all the colors, but with a little literary license can give it a go.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo