Triumphant - Osprey Color Pencil WIP

Well this week it is back to my Osprey and I have been working on him in what seems like lots of time increments (hubby accused me of being glued to my chair).  I keep thinking about the 10,000 hours comment that you need to put in before you start to get it, whoa, with color pencil I think I must be getting close as for me it is a slow process.  But alas, too, been busy trying to clean house now that the heat is on the dust, it is aflying!!!  Also with Christmas coming I kind of want to spruce things up, as I know before I am ready the holidays will be here.

Since we have the 12 Days of Christmas cooking coming up (this is hubby's annual tradition and we eat from around the world)  I needed to clean the kitchen, degreasing, so new grease has got a place to go.  But not complaining because I am the receipent of all the good food.  (So got to increase the exercise regime and better start now!!)

Anyway here is the Osprey with the main wing panel being worked.  In the reference it is all one black mass so hope that this shows the pin feathers and others with not much detail but at least not a dark blob.  I am starting the detailed pattern on his tail feathers and I must say am proud of myself that I wrote the pencil application out so when I stop and come back I have an idea of what I did (not to say it's right, but at least am hoping it can be consistent).  Nature is so symetrical and it is amazing that as you work across all tail feathers the bands of almost in line with each other. 

Looking at this I think I may still need to darken and detail out the feathers under his shoulder inside the wing.  I have lightly put it in but wasn't sure how much I wanted to detail with all the other detail on the bird, don't want it to compete and think this should be a muted blurry type area in real life, the camera might see more definition than really exists when there is action.  I see a dark spot that I just checked is really on the reference, but I find it annoying so I am going to soften that out so that the whole area just appears rather soft under feathers.   It won't come completely back to the paper as I didn't put white as an undercoat, but should soften enough that it could pass as a shadow area.

Also once I get the bird in I will go back in and rework the sky somewhat so that it becomes smoother and a bit more blended - I know I have this blend thing but ... it is what feels right to me.

Thanks for stopping by and hope that you are having a great week.  Always open to comments, quesitons and suggestions so feel free.

Comments

Your osprey is looking amazing!!
Jane said…
You have a lot of irons in the fire, something I recognize from myself...so many works going at the same time. This looks amazing already !
hmuxo said…
This is beautiful already, Nelvia! I zoomed in on it to see all the amazing details...
Wonderful work...
Nelvia said…
Thanks Caroline. We used to have then in Florida and they are magnificent birds. Matter of fact Sandy got these pictures not too far from where we used to live. For a while they were losing ground but seem to be repopulating much better now
Nelvia said…
For whatever reason I am tending to get scattered. But I do like going from one t,another as each has its own issues and call for different amount of tension. Lots of detail here so am in heaven.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda. Got some velour paper coming and just got a great book by Lesley Harrison where she talks about her technique.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo