Red Tail Hawk

                                                                    Red Tail Hawk
                                                                  Color Pencil/Pastel
                                                                           8"x10"
This piece was done from an awesome reference shot by Angela Calabrese of Paint my Photo.  PMP just has moved to a new site because it has grown so large with both artists and photographers, check it out at pmp-art.com.
Well I am thinking that I am done with this piece but will leave him sitting out on my easel for a while so I can look for any more corrections that I think I might need to do.  Biggest thing now is to stop and don't overwork it any more.
This piece is done with a pastel background (remember I had put workable fixative on it to keep it from spreading onto the hawk itself, and now I've retouched and refreshed it a bit).  The bird itself is primarily color pencil.  However, for the final feather work I used dibs and dabs of pastel to try to fluff him up a bit.
As I mentioned our hawk has been coming pretty regularly to our garden lately and I had a bit of a scare as he came diving in and landed in my liriope and then we didn't our chipmunks for half a day - but Chippe showed back up, both of them in fact, so looks like the hawk went hungry again.  Whew!!!  They are beautiful birds but hate that they have to kill something to eat.
Thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having a great summer - keep cool!!!

Comments

Well done! I especially like his eye.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo