Koala WIP Acrylic

Ok, hopefully the mystery of what I am putting on this experimental background is now solved.  Remember, I just put acrylic colors randomly on paper, sprayed it with water and put saran wrap on top and let it  dry.  When I turned the paper around I thought that the right-hand side looked like a tree trunk, so it pretty much told me what I'd have to paint, and I had been wanting to do a koala so that's how I got here.  They are pretty strange looking animals.  I am taking a lot of creative license here, using the pose photo from Susan Freeman, of PMP.  I really wanted to have a good look at those button eyes and the nose/mouth on these guys are pretty unusual so I am using another reference shot that gives me a better look at the facial features.   I also changed up the coloring to make it bit richer than what was in the original photo. 
My quest to figure out a fur technique continues and using some advice from another artist I am trying to use the #6 round.  So the base layer is put down with that and then I am back to using the flat brush to make some of the lighter hair areas that are also giving some shape to the face.  I am going back in glazing some areas to also try to add some depth.  You can see the difference between the more finished right side and the based in left.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having the best weekend.  We finally got some rain!!!!!

Comments

Nancy Goldman said…
So creative Nelvia! I love that you did an underpainting and THEN decided what to paint. That really does look like a tree trunk.
It will be interesting to watch the progress on this. I like the varied background - it gives a nice starting point. Good luck with the painting.
hmuxo said…
I love the background Nelvia!!! It almost looks like a watercolor. The Koala will look amazing against it! nice work!!
Nelvia said…
Hi Nancy, yes I was surprised at the result, am thinking of doing another and picked the colors and am excited to see how it turns out. Am using that smooth water color paper that is a block format in hopes it won't buckle so much
Nelvia said…
Thanks for looking Val. I always worry at this point because I like what I have going, but not always sure I can sustain to the end. Fingers crossed.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, I was really pleased and excited by the results, took a big load off that the background was done. I will post an update today but am trying another brush for,the fur, blocked in the body and now am going to highlight. I think they have such cute expressions.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo