The Cocktail Party

                                                             The Cocktail Party
                                                                    11"x14"
                                                                  Watercolor
Initially I was going to call this The Pig and Hare, but when I saw the wine glass I changed it and thought they looked like they were at a cocktail party.   The rabbit with the pipe and the pig with the wine glass.

When I was looking for inspiration I saw these guys from one of my favorite artists/photographers, Steve Lyddon on PMP.  They looked like they had a rusty crust on them that comes from outdoor exposure.  I remembered in an obscure watercolor book I had gotten years ago that it showed how to do stone or rust work.  So for this week's experiment you use a combination of household items.  The process is wet the paper (matboard in this instance), add watercolor, dab in olive oil to act as the resist, sprinkle salt and flour where you want it.  Then if necessary you repeat the whole process until you get the coloration you desire.  I love how the texture comes out and yes the flour does give it a mottled raised surface.  Don't they look like English academics trying to make the best of a stuffy cocktail party?  (Please I hope I didn't offend anyone - no criticism intended, just my story folks)

Hope they give you a smile.

Comments

Heel erg mooi geworden een heel mooi 2016 lieve groetjes Danielle
Such an interesting look. Does the flour stay put? I'd think it would flake off after a bit of time but I bet it really looks cool up close. Thanks for sharing as it is great to hear about your experiments.
Nelvia said…
Hi Danielle, yes the new year is almost here whether we are ready or not. Thanks for taking a look at these guys.
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, seems that once it dries that both the salt and flour are reluctant to come off. I used a brush to take off any excess and there it is rough to the feel. If you reset,recolonize the flour you can move it around, but once dried it seems to stay put. Will have to see what it does long term. But I did a trial several years ago in a sketch book so there has been page friction and all is still I. Tact, but I would frame under glass or acrylic due t the watercolor.
hmuxo said…
I LOVE the texture in this painting...an excellent piece, Nelvia!!!
Jane said…
Wow, wow, wow Nelvia, this is fabulous , love the texture , the color, the subject , your humor and your last remark :-))
Meredith Adler said…
Wow, Nelvia, I'm amazed at your painting methods :) !! I love the effects that would have been hard to get anywhere else (and I didn't realize until I clicked on your name on my blog that you have more than one blog...and thanks for visiting mine, btw!)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo