Red Hot

                                                                            Red Hot
                                                                            20"x16"
                                                                            Acrylic
Well my hubby is sure I have slipped a gear with this one - he always asks why paint this.   But this is what I have been working on for more than a week now.  This is probably the most complex painting I have done to date.  This is another multi-photo fusion piece.  The figure is from one of my favorite portrait photographers at PMP, Alex Lee Johnson and the car from Wetcanvas.  I wanted to create a painting that had a partial story, but gave the viewer options as to how the storyline progresses or finishes or even started.
This piece was a challenge in so many ways:  the figure, the mini portrait, handling all the reds, the car, the sheer over the arms and the background of multiple trees/shrubs, grasses, etc.  I did however create an issue for myself, and that's painting on a piece of canvas.  Boy oh boy was this guy rough, only thing it worked really great on was the texture of the roadway.  In future definitely will have to put several coats of gesso on it because I really don't like the texture and the paint really didn't get into the valleys and cover well.  Guess I have spoiled myself working on paper so much.  I did try the fan brush in the foliage but gave it up, it just isn't my brush.
Please feel free to give me constructive comments as I am trying to get to the next level of having more finished work, so appreciate your eyes and objectivity.
Thanks much for stopping by to take a look and have a great week.

Comments

Alexander said…
Interesting.. the woman is great the car maybe could use some tuning in dimensions. But more important the motive is a good one. I like it. Apparently the next step is really taken.
hmuxo said…
She is beautiful Nelvia. I love the smoothness of her legs...really good work. And the foliage is wonderful.!!!!
Well done and it does give the viewer a chance to tell a story. It is hard to see the texture problem from the photo of course but I agree that working on canvas after using paper is a challenge. My only critique is 'where is your light source?' The subject has drama and the painting would have more with stronger highlights and shadows. A very difficult subject well done!
Meredith Adler said…
This one really has impact, and I hope you are quite pleased with it! Combining photos is such a challenge, so congratulations!
Jane said…
I like everything about this painting, the story that immediately gets into my head and all the details that you mentioned, like the transparence on the sleeve. The foliage of the trees / bushes is really great too !

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo