Woodpecker ACEO


Well I am still working on learning some new techniques so not getting a whole lot accomplished.   Seems I have to assimilate it for a while before I can put it onto canvas.  So now I am a little bit frustrated and just want to do something letting it fly without having to think much about it.   So I am going to work on a horse picture today that I have been wanting to do for a while and in my trusty pastels so hope to get something done that makes me feel worthwhile.   Me and Phil Collins are rocking out on Pandora.

This little ACEO is another experiment.  I used markers and color pencil on Duralar, which is a synthetic paper, I use the matte finish which is slightly frosty, used a lot in the old days by draftsmen.  The unique thing about this paper is that you can use both sides to add the colors.  Because it is see-through you can put it on colored paper and it changes the color complexion of the painting.    I know people who do beautiful work with color pencil but wanted to see if I could put a base layer of markers and then the color pencils over it.  It doesn't hold a lot of layers but you really can get some super detail.

Also wanted to give you an update on the studio organization I did a few weeks ago.  Val you are so right, I have been a little bit intimidated and not as productive, I think as I don't want to mess it up.  But you can see I am gradually digging in the crates and still is again accumulating on top of my table.  However what's up there with the exception of the pencil tray, I am using in my painting studies so it really can belong there.  I actually could have put the pencil tray away but I just got out some dark pastels from my art bin box.  I have all my pastels arranged in drawers or the art bin box by values and all my darks are in the art bin.  I have to take the tray off each time to dig out the art bin, but....  I also have a couple of wood box pastel sets that I am going to have to incorporate into my usage on a more regular basis.    Anyway, bottom line is I think it is working pretty well and both my table and my drawing table are staying pretty clean.

I am now working on purging magazines and pictures I have picked up over the years.  It's hard to throw some of them out, but again I find I get info more online than out of the books any more, so time to get tough and purge.  I created reference files for pictures out of magazines and newspaper years ago, I really don't use those picture references much any more as you can get almost anything, and in many cases better references, you need online.  So my motto now is "if I haven't used/looked at in a year - OUT it goes" (ok so the art magazines I am looking at one more time.  Anything noteworthy will go into an EverNote folder on my iPad)   When it will get really get tough is when I purge my art book collection.  I feel the pain already.

Thanks for stopping by and hope all are keeping somewhat cool - know that isn't easy these day - only another 90 days of hot and humid for us here in Georgia!!


Comments

hmuxo said…
What a wonderful post Nelvia!! I love your woodpecker and the wood looks SO realistic...nice work! I have two horses on my easel ...both commissions so I really can't post it until next week....I love painting them especially with pastels. I look forward to seeing yours....I hope it's another WIP.... I as well have been throwing out magazines but since they are all like encyclopedias to me I've been cutting out my favorite photos and putting them in boxes ....I should be done in a few years...lol
What a super woodpecker painting, Nelvia. It sounds like very interesting paper - I will have to look it up. I am glad the clean studio space hasn't hinder you too much - lol. Like you I have been using the internet more for reference but I haven't considered purging my books and files - maybe someday. Have a great week.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo