Christmas Angel WIP



Thought  that I would do another work in progress as I am trying out some new things and thought you might be interested in following along.  I am smart however, while trying a new technique I am back to using MiTientes paper and not trying to fight a new support feel as well.

First off I have never tried to do a pastel  grisaille.  I guess I always thought that it would get muddy due to the grays underneath.  I am back to studying again and read that with pastels you already have grays involved just using any stick that isn't the pure color - if it is a tint of the pure color white has been added and if it is a shade of the original color then black has been added.  You can see that I was working with pretty light grays because this child has pretty white/reddish skin tones.  I used a red-brown for parts of the undercoat for the hair because this child is one of those curly blondes I just fall in love with.  

But in some ways I am working like the old masters only thing is that I am trying to work more in broken color as opposed to doing a lot of blending.  Oh, I am blending but not with my fingers, more with using other sticks and also trying to do more hatching to blend colors together for the new color.   Also, and this will  be one of the hardest things for me is I am trying to pick the right colors and not keep overworking areas.   

Thanks for stopping by and more to come.

Comments

Unknown said…
Looking good. Like the progression.
My word but this all sounds complicated! It is looking good but I am surprised the layers aren't smudging - oh well, pastels are a mystery to me. Have fun with it Nelvia!
Nelvia said…
Thanks Diane, when I am doing something really off the wall I like to show how I got there, as much for me as anyone else. I tend to forget what the heck I do. Hmmmm senior moments I guess it is.
Nelvia said…
Hey Val, not sure how really complicated it is, just different from how I usually go about something. As I told Diane I try to write it down somewhere so I can refer to what I was thinking. I am surprised how often I go back to old posts in my blog to see what I did. Have a good one - you getting snow?

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo