Hunter's Moon pastel portrait of wolf

                                                                     Hunter's Moon
                                                                         14"x11"
                                                                          Pastel
This week's project is a combination of photos from PMP, so thank you to Rvanunen and Freda Austin Nichols.  I think I am going to try to do a series with the big moon as I have a couple more ideas of what might work.  This piece is on Ingres sand color paper, it is not sanded paper, but the paper that Colin Bradley uses, more along the lines of MiTeintes.  I guess having done pastels so long on this type of surface I will continue to do so as it does feel nature, in some ways more so than in pastel mat or sanded paper.

I have another month with access to Colin Bradley videos, so I am continuing to watch videos on fur but tried a few of my own tweaks in this one.  Since I have to use blades to get my pastels as sharp as I want them to be, I tried, even though I am working on paper, to scratch out the fur (think I will actually try my scratch tool from scratchboard next time) and also used a very sharp fine graphite pencil to separate the fur texture.  Graphite also has the benefit of adding in some gray tones which this fur was full of - it helped to give that salt-and-pepper effect.  The background/moon is pan pastels and the wolf pastel pencils.

I have to admit I haven't done any celestial skies but it is kind of fun to try to get the stars and galaxies in.  Think the hardest part was to get the moon round - better, but not yet perfect.  I had to go through the pots and pans to find a lid that would be the size I had already drawn.  Ah, yes, took me back to toddler days when we used to play with pots and pans as toys - no electronics toys then.

Thanks much for stopping by to take a look.



Comments

Really lovely, your fur is perfect.
Helen said…
Love the using of pots and pans to get the circle! We do what we have to do, don't we.
Helen
hmuxo said…
This is so beautiful Nelvia! The fur looks so real...SO soft that you want to pet him! You captured the wonderful texture that a wolf has.....Excellent work, my friend!!!!
Joan Tavolott said…
Your fur is just so great!!! Nice capture of the short hairs, the bristly hairs...all of them. Super job!
This is wonderful Nelvia!You did a super jobe even though the behind the wolf is so light you still managed to showcase his fur so well. BTW I don't think you need to worry about the moon being perfectly round as we often see it as it is on the wane and not quite perfect. Well done!
Unknown said…
This is awesome! Absolutely beautiful. Fur, the eyes, all beautiful.
Jane said…
A gorgeous piece, love the wolf in front of the moon , and the galaxy is perfect. Stunning work on the fur and the eyes , wow wow wow !
Nancy Goldman said…
This is amazing Nelvia. I haven't visited blogs for a long time, so it's nice to see all that you have been painting. I really love all of your pastels and you are making me want to break mine out and try them again. It's always been a medium that is a struggle for me.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo