Inside Out acrylic glass

                                                                  Inside/Out
                                                                    12"x9"
                                                                   Acrylic
While I was casting about trying to get inspired I decided to take a look at PMP's group monthly challenge.  It was inside/outside, you need to view something where you could see both inside and outside of the piece.  What???????  Definitely not a subject I would have thought of my myself to try.  Suggestion was to do an interior shot looking outside, but ... well that is a bit too much like landscape for me.  So I decided to take a look at what I could find, and I remember I enjoyed my other glass piece so thought I'd look under glass.  Found this beautiful photo from Lorna Webber,  a very talented artist on PMP.  She had another piece of Venetian glass that I have to work up to trying as it is just gorgeous, but I think a bit beyond me right now.  You can submit two pics for June/July challenge, so that might be my second piece.

Since I haven't worked in acrylic for months now I thought this would be a great warm up as well.  I watched a Youtube video from Lisa, at Larchri on a piece where she did, and usually does, a lot of glazing layers.  She actually starts with gray grisaille and then glazes and feels it adds so much depth, especially when you use glazing medium, as the light bounces between the layers because the paint is thin, but the layer is thicker than with water as glazing medium.  That is the old masters technique and when I tried it with Girl with a Pearl Earring, it was magic once you started glazing the colors on.

Well I got the glazing medium, (you can catch hints of it where the lights reflected) and I often glaze using water, but wanted this to end up with a shiny slick finish, so it sounded just perfect.  I put this picture in rather large format so you could see the indications of color under some of the glazes.  One of her tips also, is to use matte medium as a glazing medium - got that too, and think that probably is the better, more economical, way to go once I run out of my bottle of glazing medium.  

Thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
Lovely highlights on the dark areas. I love how you did the interior layers of color that swirl through the glass. You nailed the shading through the swirls so that some of them look closer and others further back. This is really nicely done!
hmuxo said…
Wow Nelvia! This looks too challenging for me...lol. But you did a beautiful job on this glass. Amazing colors and perfect highlights!!
What a fantastic challenge! And I think you nailed it, Nelvia although I haven't seen the original photo. this looks very realistic and the layers are super.
Sheila said…
Awesome work! Wonderful light!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo