Poetry in Motion Cougar Color Pencil Portrait

                                                                  Poetry In Motion
                                                                         9"x12"
                                                                   Mixed Media
Well finally I get to post this project.  It has taken a while but I have tried to take it to the distance.  First off, this is a reference from pixabay, they are fabulous high definition pictures to work from.  These truly are fabulous animals, such fluid grace and motion.  Seems that puma, mountain lion and cougar and panther are all interchangeable.   Think I will change mountain lion so as not to get confused with older women cougars!!

Anyway this started out as an adventure using alcohol based markers for the underpainting and then going over it with layers of color pencil.  I had dug out my old book, Color Drawing, for architects, landscape architects and interior designers.   It seems they commonly use marker and CP together.  I also tried a new support, mixed media paper and was sure glad I did.  This is a thicker paper than marker paper and absorbed the marker and didn't tend to leave streaks.  I was really amazed, just like magic, the CP applications smoothed out the marker hard edges and really helped to build depth.

I also have to thank Alyona and her CP textured fixative for helping me salvage this piece.  I had an area where the marker was just to dark and I tried putting white gel pen over it and then CP again.  Didn't really want to cover, so hence on to the next part of the adventure.  Added pan pastels and kept working over that with layers of color pencil.  I think it pulled it out and salvaged the piece.  The textured fixative worked pretty well even though this isn't on sanded paper, but guess there were enough layers of CP that it stuck to that and set me up for the next layers.

I also used some very fine graphite pencil work to separate the fur and added the pan pastels for the booked in the background.  I actually had gotten some stencils that I was going to use markers and then cover with CP but I really didn't like the look, so that needs more practice.  But the pans did just a beautiful job of putting in a gradiated background.

I finally make the big step to going on instagram - I know, but well, I am slow.  What can I say.  So spent some time coming up with a logo and have done research to create the hashtag list I want to focus on.  It takes me a while to do these things, I have to research them to try to learn all the implications, but am posting now, so please follow me at nelviamcgrath if that suits your lifestyle.
Off to the next adventure and appreciate your stopping by.  

Comments

hmuxo said…
This cougar is painted so beautifully Nelvia and you should be very proud of yourself!!! Perfect work on the fur...very realistic!!!! I also like how you used the pan pastels in the background!!!
Joan Tavolott said…
This is really lovely! All the different media gave you such great, subtle textures in the cougar's fur. Well done! I just found you and followed you on Instagram. I'm joantav1.
Sheila said…
WOW, this is terrific. Right there with you on slow. I STILL need to get on instagram. High five to you :)
Your cougar is great Nelvia and it sounds like alot of work went into getting it so perfect - well done!So many are going to instagram and appear really happy with it so good luck with that. Have a great weekend.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo