Buffalo acrylic WIP

Ok, I got to admit it, I just couldn't stand not having at least one of the eyes in.  I want to be sure that this guy is looking right at us, challenging us.  Matter of fact I might call it "The Challenge".  Do you feel challenged yet?

In addition to putting in more color around the face I am going to be adding lighter color, so I can go over it again with darker color to develop the coarse hair.  I also want to put in the lighter colors on the back so I can really see just how dark is dark.  I am not using black in this piece, instead I am using Dioxazine purple, ultramarine, burnt umber along with various reds and burnt sienna.

I am trying different brushes, trying to feel my way along to see which one I want to use for the top coat.  In this piece the clumps aren't distinguished by individual hair, but more by just marks in different shades.  I keep telling myself that as my inclination is to try to get realistic - NO NO NO, just stay loose and see what happens.

You know one of the strangest things about these animals is their front legs are so muscular and the back ones just skinny by comparison.  I have to do more work on the shapes of them to develop the right shape and define some of the musculature.  These guys are just mammoth and strong beyond belief.  Paul tells me when he was younger he was in the West and you could  hear them coming across the plains well before they got to you.   They would challenge you, just like this guy, but if you beeped your motor scooter horn at them, they got scared and would back down.

Yeah, I still don't know what is going on with the background, guess I'll let it percolate a bit and see what comes out of the little gray cells!!

Thanks for taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
Wow!!! His eye is definitely challenging. I wouldn't want to meet him out on a wide plain out west. It will be great to see what you continue to do on this one! Have a great weekend.
The eye makes a big difference! It sounds like you are having a tough time staying loose - been there,done that - lol. Your background today made me think of a Native American or Inuit symbol but I couldn't find the one it reminded me of when I did a search but maybe the background is more appropriate than you realized. Have fun with it!
Sheila said…
If you left the background simple like this, it is very graphic and might be nice in contrast. That eye most decidedly makes him look meaner. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo