The Challenge acrylic buffalo

                                                                   The Challenge
                                                                        12"x9"
                                                                        Acrylic
Reference Photo

Well I think I am finished with this piece.  Will let it sit around a bit so I can look at it and might still add some additional color in places, but I like the fact that I didn't get too hung up on detail.   I still need to work on being bolder to get those vibrant colors that I originally envisioned.  I just chickened out although there is a lot of color in this piece.

Today I pretty much just tweaked a bit, added in the lighter colors on the shoulders/chest and cleaned up the white.  I repainted for a bit more opaque coverage the graphic elements to the background and painted the white so I could kind of clean up the smudges and make the edges a bit crisper.

I am really pleased with the differentiation of the dark value tones.  I can now see the beard and the shaggy hair that leads down to it and also the structure of the muzzle.  I like the eyes better and the head is slightly turned which creates the different in the edges to nose dimensions.

Hope you enjoyed watching this come together and thanks much for stopping by and comments are always appreciated.


Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I did enjoy seeing how you worked on this and how it changed from the beginning. Nice shading on his body and face!
Sheila said…
Oh it is wonderful! I was just thinking that I don't know what else you could do to improve it, then I read your declaration. The face is spot on :)
Helen said…
I love that you left the background so simple. In the very beginning when you said, "I don't know what I'll do with the back ground yet," I remember thinking how much I loved it just like it was.
hmuxo said…
Beautifully finished Nelvia,. You had a beautiful reference shot of this Bison. I love the splashes of blues! Nice work.....
Nelvia said…
Thanks Joan occasionally like to do WIP as it helps me take a look at my process too. It did change a lot didn't it
Nelvia said…
Thanks Sheila, there is a fine line of overworking to keep till it is done. I often find it hard to go all the way. And not stop too soon. But I am not sure what else to do, if nothing stands out I am calling it done.
Nelvia said…
I am not sure where this came from but I like it a lot too. Think it adds to the western mood. Backgrounds are always hard for me so I do lik simple. Glad it comes across as not being too little
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda, yes it is a super reference, not sure who the photographer is but I switched to pixabay for this shot. They have some beautiful free photography there. With such a great shot yiu couldn't get off too far. I love buffalo and hope you do give yours a try. I saw a special on buffalo in Yellowstone through the winter and have been hooked ever since.
Well done, Nelvia!. I like the final touches a lot - the blues are really different . A super job on a difficult subject and keeping it loose at the same time!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo