Awakening Sunriseportrait of woman in sunrise

Awakening Sunrise
                                            MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!!!!

Well since I am now in the piddling and playing stage on this piece I am thinking it is time to say it is finished.  I have adjusted the skin tones so many times and can still pick apart places, but it is time to say quit.  I am excited as I think this piece will be perfect for my bathroom.

I guess it is a result of just  having had so many days of gray and rain that I really needed to do something that was colorful.  I have a friend I follow on Instagram that does photography and primarily she shoots the skies in her native Australia.  I really don't do landscapes, but thought I'd try a sky behind this figure.  Unfortunately I haven't learned how to paint skies yet - my clouds never seem to come out - so I took the idea of the sunrise color gradations and put it in a simple background for this piece.  

This is a photo reference from a figure drawing site (this site allows you to select from  nude/clothed,action or passive shots), Daily Sketch, and I loved the pose and wanted to incorporate it with some type of background.   All the figure photos have pretty plain studio backdrops.  The other challenge to this piece, was to make the wrap she has on be transparent and yet still show that it is flowing.  So to the rescue comes the transparent mixing white.  When mixed with other colors it still keeps them thin and transparent but with lesser intensity and if you use translucent colors they still allow that vibrant background to show through.

I expect this to be the last post before Christmas, so hoping all are having a wonderful holiday and thanks so much for stopping by and taking a look.



Comments

Helen said…
Gorgeous colors! Love the background. love, Love, LOVE the fabric.
Sheila said…
Her skin is gorgeous, the fabric is gorgeous, and the sunrise blends are gorgeous! Love her hair too ;) Merry Christmas to you and yours, and JOYful New Year!
Nelvia said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nelvia said…
Well looks like it will take comment today, used the dagger brush for the fabric and love it
Nelvia said…
I loved how the background colors come through the translucent colors, I use only the smaller amounts of whites to add to the skin tones and then glazed to keep the sunrise colors reflecting off her skin. Merry Christmas Sheila, hoping you are feeling good!!
A fabulous piece Nelvia - the whole things just works brilliantly. Merry Christmas to you and your family and best wishes for a wonderful and creative 2019
Joan Tavolott said…
This piece is so well done on so many levels! The background is great and the clothing is wonderful. Have a very Merry Christmas!!! I hope Santa brings you lots of inspiration for 2019!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo