Penguin Chicks acrylic portrait of Emperor Penguins

The Chicks
Well finally today I just felt like painting something that was just plain fun.  I tend to multitask and watch a lot of YouTube videos when my hubby feels like watching tv and that usually means sports of some type.  Now, I got to admit I get pretty involved when it is a Duke mens basketball game, but other than that, unless it really counts for something it is just noise.

So I watch videos with one ear bud in and always learn something or get inspired.  Inspiration is what what happened here.  The Art Sherpa painted a penguin family and I thought that looks like so much fun.  Haven't ever painted a penguin or thought about it much to be honest.   I found another reference which included two chicks (I think it must be someone else's because I think they only lay one egg) and since they usually are involved with a big group I took the background penguins and dulled them down by adding the blizzard.   I figure there are a lot of blizzards in the South Pole.    I really wanted their forms to infer the larger group they stay in for warmth, but wanted the primary focus to be on the closest group birds.   I always find their story of existence amazing considering the conditions they live under.

Anyway, in case life gets in the way I hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas!!

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I love this! Penguins are such cute creatures, aren't they? They make me smile. I like the addition of the snow to the painting. Well done. I have a friend who is going to Antartica in February to see them.
Helen said…
I really love this one. How did you do the snow? Flicking a toothbrush? or spattering with a brush? or raking a comb? Did you finish the penguins then do the snow after it was dry?
Nelvia said…
Will try to reply
Nelvia said…
Wow all of a sudden I am able to reply again have to ch do your site and see if I can leave a comment.

I painted the background penguins, then Painted the background in slanting strokes over blank paper and penguins. Then to the garage to splatter really wet paint with a tooth brush, goes everywhere. Back to paint in the foreground penguins. Once they dried back to the garage to splatter again with the toothbrush. I really had a ball painting this one. Got your package and it is under the tree so will tell yiu about it later
Nelvia said…
They really are cute, who knew, never thought about painting them., but have a couple more reference shots I think I might try. I can’t imagine going to Antarica voluntarily, but bet they have a trip of a
Lifetime. I think the snow added a lot to this piece, simple but really setting the mood.
Sheila said…
Fun and sweet and beautiful Nelvia! I love penguins, and you do have to admire their survival skills. Sounds like you had lots of fun, so we will see more then maybe? LOL. Merry Christmas to you and your sports fan ;) xoxo
hmuxo said…
This is really beautiful Nelvia. You can feel the chill with the splatter of the snow. Well done....
As I wrote on FB - too cute!. So many people like penguins - even in places where they couldn't live - lol. You did a great job of this and I too like the blizzard effect inspite of the mess. Have a wonderful Christmas Nelvia.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo