Portrait Lesson 6 Experiment

Well the best laid plans, etc, etc, etc.  This is lesson 6 and isn't anything at all like lesson 6.   It was supposed to be watercolor and color pencil - what it ended up being was acrylic, pastel and colored pencil.   But that's ok.

One of the under riding thoughts teachers have had in this course is that it is ok to just let go, be free, change to go with the flow and be outside the lines.   That is what I accomplished with this piece as I was salvaging it.  I know it sounds pretty funny, but I have had a big break through, it is like I have given myself permission to just try new things and find the way ..  make it work.

Trying to be smart, I put gesso over the sketchbook page because I knew I was going to use liquids and that the paper would really buckle.   However, when I tried using the acrylics, watercolor style, because I didn't want to be able to lift color layers, with the gesso coating, it lifted anyway.   So I ended up with very splotchy skin tones, I couldn't really cover the gesso evenly.  Guess I needed to see Sheila's post of today, where she talks about gesso puddling!!

Well, what do you do, I quit working on it yesterday, redrew it on watercolor paper to try it the correct way (the lesson way) today.  But in the night I noodled it around and decided I was going to try to salvage this someway.  I already had a start on interesting skin tones so decided to throw some pastel into the equation.  The variety of skin tones is just part of what makes portraits so fascinating.  We are all colored so differently.   I also wanted to try to gain some looseness.

Off to try to do the lesson as shown - still experimenting, but less so,  I hope!!

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I like the splotchy look to the skin. It gives it a light dappled effect. Congrats on being willing to find a way to make this work and adapting the materials to what was happening.
Unknown said…
The skin looks natural - ever changing with light reflections. What course are you taking?
Nelvia said…
Ultimately it worked out, but it just wouldn't cover. I have to test again because I wanted to do some more wet work in my sketchbook, but looks like I will be adding pages, not using them.
Nelvia said…
You know I think that it actually added a lot of life to the portrait. Just looks a bit odd to a person who wants things blended all the time. But I am going to adjust my attitude!!
carol edan said…
Beautiful and energetic portrait!
So many people would just throw it away! I am glad you kept on trying as it turned out so well. I, too, like the dappled effect of the skin. Great job Nelvia.
Sheila said…
Thought I left a comment. Hmm. And my comments in one of my FB groups keep disappearing too. Uggh. I just love this Nelvia. LOVE! A stylish, sexy, beautiful, strong woman. Wonderful work!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo