China Doll woman's portrait

China Doll
Well this was a real slug fest.  I almost quit her 3-4 times but decided I had invested so much time and energy I was going to add some collage, some facial paint and let it go as it was.  This is for a challenge with the word prompt steam punk.   I have seen steam punk photos, (this is from Michael Cain) but really didn't get it.  But it has conventions with a pretty big following and lots of people really enjoy it, so ...

It started out as a trial because I used some paper from the company that used to make Kitty Wallace paper (that was supposed to be the best paper).  It is sanded and while I have tried it before, I didn't like it then, so thought I'd try it again.   Still don't like it.  But started going forward with my pan pastels and was doing pretty well and realized I made her nose way toooooo long.   But I was pretty well down the path so lengthened some more things and moved onward.  Got most of the face in and after messing around with it so much I didn't like the eyes, nose or mouth.   Isn't that pretty much everything?   

Was going to start another whole picture, but hey, this is for a challenge, what have you got to lose?   Decided I would try to collage even on sanded paper.   (Might fall off later but hung on long enough to take the picture)  Gears, time, goggles all seem to be important steam punk things.  So thought I would tie in my watch parts with a time element on her face (plus it helped to hide her eyes that I wasn't happy with).   Threw in some robot parts and am calling done!!

Thanks for stopping by, taking a look and listening to me whine!!

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I like your persistence in moving forward on this piece. I hope the collage pieces stay put for you. I like this...although I don't understand steam punk either.
carol edan said…
A very interesting portrait which goes beyond your prompt as I hane no idea what "steam punk " is. Love your title.
hmuxo said…
She's beautifully painted, Nelvia. Wonderful colors.....
Congrats for sticking it out! I gotta say this is not one of my favourties pieces by you - lol ( I don't get steam punk either )
Helen said…
"helps to hide eyes that I wasn't happy with" Ha ha ha!!! I do the same thing! If I can't get that cow's feet right, just grow the grass taller and hide them!
HA!
Sheila said…
Not a steampunk fan either, but I applaud you for giving it a go. I think you have hidden her flaws well. I love the pop of red "feather". And I had to do a double take at her shirt. At first I just thought it was the fabric design, then I thought it was collage. But no, it isn't. WOW, Looks convincing to me! High five again, for not giving in, giving up, giving out! LOL :) Enjoyed your post, very entertaining ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo