Sunbathing pastel figure Sunbathing

Sunbathing
Still working on pastel and experimenting with color block and bolder skin tones.   I wanted to work larger, so this is 16"x20".   Since I don't have pastel paper that size I decided to try painting it in that technique I had used for pastels.   It really didn't work out the way I imagined.   So experiment time began.

I was working on hot press watercolor block and after I blocked in all colors I added a layer of clear gesso.  Now I thought I would be set up for working with pastel.  It buckled a bit, was not too much.  So I then began to add similar colors to the darker underpainting and I was off.  

Now I know there is a lot of color and not sure I would go again with this palette, but I think it is interesting.  I was worried about the hair but think it actually turned out ok.    

While I worked with a posterized palette I ended up not using the reference and tended to add different colors into the wide expanses of solid color.   I didn't initially do that in paint and I might have liked it better if I could have done that on the 3 or 4th layers.   Something to try for the next time I guess.

Anyway, thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

This is so interesting Nelvia. I like the variations in the skin tone - the touches of green are super. The shading on the bathing suit is great too. - well done!
Sheila said…
So wonderful Nelvia! I love her skin. The green! Wowzers! Amazing how you make that work. Interesting palette, keeps me looking, dissecting. Wonderful sheen on her suit. Terrific all around! :)
hmuxo said…
I LOVE her, Nelvia...and all the colors you added on her is outstanding!!! This is definitely a winner at a show!!!
Joan Tavolott said…
What great colors on the skin tones. I like your bold approach to this one. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo