First off want to thank Patrick Hedges for this wonderful reference picture - he got the most amazing lighting.  Well this elegant and stylish Zambian  lady has demanded she get painted, and has just talked to me and literally popped out of the paper almost fully rendered in just a couple of hours.  Took a 3 mile run and a small cleaning break and then had to have another go at completing the right side of her face.  Before I stop for the day, porch and wine time, I had to put in all the flesh tones roughly on her neck as I fear I wouldn't be able to duplicate them going forward after a couple of hours, so now only need to go in and accent the hollows.  Yes, I cheated and already put in the dot detail, but that is one of the compelling accents to her and one of the reasons I had to paint her.  I am surprised because as you know I am a pretty slow painter and on this painting I was really cranked up to paint, paint in pastel and am trying hard not to overwork, but just put in the colors and keep on moving.  Will try to remember that as I finish up the details of her hat and just hint at her bead necklace.  She has the most elegant collar bones and that will be the second focal point.  All in all I have to say thus far I am pretty pleased with this result and it makes me fall in love all over again with pastel. 

Comments

Rita Vaselli said…
Nelvia dear, why have you abandoned the pastel if the results are so brilliant? I love it, the eyes are alive, and you paint quickly! What else!? Superb!A big hug
Rita.
Prachtig vertolkt een hele mooie vrouw lieve groetjes Danielle
renate said…
Nelvia! This is so beautiful! Your lady is speaking to us. Now I want to see the finished one too! :) I love the skin tone. Is this just one layer or more? My next post will be a lot longer, I'm not feeling allright right now. I'm sorry xx
Nelvia said…
Thanks or your thoughts and will rethink my direction
Nelvia said…
Thanks Bro, appreciate your thoughts
Nelvia said…
Thank you Danielle, enjoying your work and site
Nelvia said…
Hey darling, glad you felt good enough to look, but you take more days here to heal and let Wilbert baby you for a bit. She is worked in layers, not usual for pastel folks who like to see the strokes, me I like it blended and smooth transitions with lighter colors worked over the top
Very Lovely!The eyes are stunning. Looking forward to seeing the finished painting.
Happy painting
Caroline

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo