Since it is cooling off here I am thinking about winter and doing things I can't do in the summer and weaving is one of those things (I use a lap loom and it is quite hot - great for sitting by the fireplace though) 
Several years ago we were at the Folk Art Center for Fiber Day.  One of the weavers, Sandy Adair, kindly showed me how to build a lap loom and gave me some basic equipment instruction and, reading a couple of books later, I was off and running.   I designed this piece (of course only read the basics and didn't do any practice on the simple designs) but jumped right in and changed thread colors like I knew what I was doing - isn't ignorance bliss??
Just so you know what I think you are looking at.... you are standing on a mountain ledge looking at the sun rise over the valley below, and congratulations if you came close and guessed any of that.  The funny things in the foreground?? well, I was trying to get the different rock planes - and yes if you want to believe there is a little snow you can but I was really going after highlights.

Anyway, Sandy Adair, the professional artist weaver, does these spectacularly beautiful pictures of mountain scenes and I strive to make something that could come close to what she does.   This is an example from her website and is definitely not something I have done, but oh I would love to.

I have only completed this one weaving as it takes two passes going each direction to complete one row, so yes it is pretty slow and I get easily bored.  I have another weaving in process of Bear Lake in Utah, it has the most unique and beautiful color - I bought yarn as close to the water color as I could find, Wasatch mountins are in the background and I only have the sky work left so I want to get it completed this winter, and maybe if I am really proactive design and start another.
Feel free to tell me what you like and don't like as I am learning the
is art form.

Comments

Het ziet er fantastisch uit heel mooi gedaan lieve groetjes Danielle
Nelvia said…
Bedankt Danielle, we zo ons werk dicht het is moeilijk om objectief, dus stellen uw commentaar. Hope this translated right:)
Rita Vaselli said…
Wonderful,Nelvia! I love it! I'm waiting for next beautiful steps!
Have nice Sunday!
renate said…
Hallo Nelvia:) You are so creativ! How beautiful this is. Looking at the first picture I thaugt you had started digital painting! I knew immidietly what it stood for! How brave you are to do such a difficult thing as a beginner. Love the color of the sky and the sun, wow! Sandy's piece is also beautiful but I asume she is doing this a bit longer. I think your second piece is going to be wonderful. The blue in the middle is super!
From now on you have a new (dutch) nickname:
Crea Bea speak out as: kreeja beeja
Crea stands for creativ and Bea is just a name for the ryme:)
What are you going to do with the ones ready? Will they be framed?
I wish you a lot of fun weaving and wish you and Paul a very nice sunday! xx :)
renate said…
Ahum :(

creativ = creative
thaught = thought
ryme = rhyme

:)
Alexander said…
interesting. something totally far away from me, but nice to see the results. any case your choice of colours was a good one, i like it

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo