Swan Lake - Tonal Pastel Study

Well got pictures turned in yesterday, nothing to do now but wait, should know something by Sunday or Monday if I got anything juried into a show.
Got my carpets all cleaned and done now for another 6 months (comes around real fast) and confirmed yet again we must be little pigs as it amazes me how dirty it always is.  We don't wear shoes in the house either - so, go figure.
Was going a little stir crazy as I haven't really been very productive this week.  But did take a few minutes to do this study of a photo that Steve Lyddon posted at PMP.  I am still working on tonal studies and did this pastel piece again in several hours, it is 6"x9" on black Artagain paper.  The black of the paper certainly speeds up the process but I still find it difficult to get whites as bright as I would like them to be but did like the way it sped up the water process.  Steve takes excellent photos, and many have a story, and he freely and generously puts them into the photo library at PMP.  Saw this and knew I had to give it a try.  Also, I've been kind of hedging around drawing several reference cartoons for my next scratch piece, but just couldn't get into any of them for one reason or another.  Well Steve took care of that for me too when he posted a beautiful huge, and I mean huge, draft horse I think they are called.  Haven't ever done a horse, so well that spoke to me and am working on that scratch piece now - will post when I get a bit farther into it.
                                                        COMPOSITION CHECKLIST
BALANCE - be sure the size and weight of shapes and elements are evenly distributed, not all on one side.  Be sure the horizon line doesn't appear to be too top or bottom heavy.
COLOR AND VALUE - Be sure the colors and tones are evenly distributed.  Too much light or dark in an area can throw of the composition.  Colors too should be repeated around the picture
PATHWAY - The elements should come together to lead the eye around the painting and then back to the center.
                                                          COMPOSITION EXAMPLES:
                                                          Converging Lines
                                                          Off-Center Converging composition
                                                          S-Curve
                                                          Heavily interrupted S-Curve
                                                          Mirror Image
                                                          Z Shape




Comments

I am sure that your work will be picked for the show. They are beautifull.
hmuxo said…
Swan lake is a beautiful painting, Nelvia. I love how you painted the water.. very realistic..! I can't wait to see your horse...I know it will be another winner!
Jane said…
This is beautiful and like hmuxo I really love the way you painted the water, so oily looking and real !
Nancy Goldman said…
This is beautiful Nelvia. I love the bird and the way you did the reflections in the water.
Nelvia said…
Hi C, nothing yet, still anxious and hoping to know more tomorrow. I wonder if it ever gets easier to wait?
Nelvia said…
I wonder what the difference is between a study and a finished painting? Is it only in the mind?
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, must give the black paper a big part of the water, the it was some blue pastel and swan darker colors and went through it with a black pastel pencil to break it up. Want to do this again but larger.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Nancy, you do awesome water so I appreciate the comment. I like to do reflections, so must mean I should do more water. Maybe that is the answer to my landscape dilemma just do water and forget the tress, bushes and green stuff!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo