Georgia Blossom


I almost called this "Lucky Blossom" because under several layers there are koi fish swimming around.  But I figured only a few people would get the joke and I didn't want to air my dirty laundry to the whole world, just you guys dear readers know the actual truth.  So instead I went with Georgia Blossom as we get magnolias blooming both in Spring and Fall here in Georgia.  They are such beautiful flowers.  Another one I think I could paint again and again and not get tired of them.  Love that white really isn't white with this flower.
 
I had done a magnolia before in color pencil in a 12"x12" size, but altered this one a bit (not using grays for the shadows, but violet and blues) and did it on a 6"x6" boxed canvas.  Again working on getting the sides to participate as part of the composition. 

I did a couple of things here: 
1) I covered the koi with several coats of gesso and realize that gesso doesn't allow the paint to soak into the canvas.  So the initial layers of the dark background were kind of transparent, so to cover it I got darker than I might have wanted, but I still do like the pop.  I was reading about mat medium and am going to try to get some to work with, as they say it makes transparent color opaque, but doesn't alter the color much.  There are many mediums that can be used with acrylic, Golden is one provider, and I need to check them out as indications are they can give you all kinds of looks.
2)  The other thing is that for most of the white work I used gesso because it is soupier and allowed for the slide effect when blending.  It allowed me to add layers after one was already dry and retain some of the color by scumbling from an earlier layer.  It gave me that soft streaky lok of color blending into color on the petals. 
3)  One thing too you can rework acrylic, I tend to do overworking and tried hard to not overdo to try to keep the colors soft and clean.

I am letting this one rest and then I will tweak if I feel like it, but probably going to try to keep my hands off of it.  I have decided to varnish both this and the Poppy Twins that I am putting in the show in November.  After reading many varying opinions, contrary to my belief, acrylic isn't indestructible if left unframed, it does have the potential to dent, especially in high warm humidity weather or areas of the country. (In Georgia we have a lot of both)   I have a Liquitex matte varnish that I am going to put on.  However I want to be sure it is as dry as it can be before adding the varnish on the top.  Then the next trick is to get the varnish on without it bubbling or major brush strokes - ah, another new adventure. 
Also I am going to sign these on the left bottom side and add the title, size and medium used in the back on the stretcher.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great weekend.

Comments

I like it! I love how you wrapped it around the canvas.
Have you ever tried a spray varnish?


Nancy Goldman said…
I love this little flower Nelvia. Your dark background really makes the flower pop and adds drama. I love hearing about your process and wish I could see those poor koi that you covered over.

I use matte medium for a lot of things but wouldn't think that it makes colors more opaque. In fact, I think it makes colors more translucent because it thins the paint. It also is a great glue.
Nancy Goldman said…
Me again.... I was just scrolling through your posts and found the koi. I guess it's been awhile since I've visited blogs. I liked that painting but I understand when a painting just doesn't 'click' when it's being painted. I have quite a few paintings that need to be painted over.
hmuxo said…
Excellent.. I wouldn't touch it again...beautiful colors on the flower and I always love the dark background. Wonderful work!
Nelvia said…
In the opinions I have read they didn't recommend spray as you can't get it oo evenly, but I,did use spray for my scratchboard and didn't have any issues yet.
Nelvia said…
I am going to go back to check that I got the correct name as what you say makes sense that it thins the paint. Will let you know what it is if I made an error. I am sure what they talked about made the paint opaque which is what I would be interested in.
Nelvia said…
Hey time flies when having fun! Yes those poor little guys had lots of issues, am going to attack them again however, maybe in a bigger size so I can get at least 2-3 mostly while fish and the water Lilly pads on the top,surface. Good thing about canvas is you can go,over and not toss completely.
Nelvia said…
Hi Hilda am going to take your advice and keep my hands off of it, just sign and varnish. Next background can be a bit lighter, but I think the dark helps you focus on the flower form itself, so all is good.
Alexander said…
Marvellous. Really powerful. And I just love the black

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo