Jania Portrait WIP

TODAY'S ADVICE: MEASURE, MEASURE, AND MEASURE
Decided I would leave the picture in as it was yesterday when I was ready to stop because I had lost Jania.  Was getting ready to start over because I won't be defeated, but experience tells me to put her on the board and just look at both reference and picture and note the differences.  Top picture is this morning with a few changes, plus put in some additional definition on the light side of her face. 
Just standing back and studying the two shots I had identified what I thought were correctable  reasons for the aging distortion (remember I had several of these issues when I did the original drawing): 
1) part of the face was just lightly colored in,  no definition to balance the more finished shadow side,
2) the jaw on both sides needed to be reworked to regain the shape from the shadow,
3)  lengthened the chin, 
4) shortened the nose; which gets me to today's advice. 
 I thought I had the features set, mapped out, I had them marked in graphite, but somehow the nose grew, the chin got shorter and I lost the facial outline.   You can clearly see that a longer nose makes Jania an older girl, oh such a little shift, but boy does it make so big a difference.  Moral of the story is measure, measure and then do it one more time and keep on doing it as you move through the portrait.
The top picture is today's rendition and I am feeling a little better about it, but will wait until those of you who take a look with fresh eyes and leave me your feedback until I get too giddy. 
I have some outdoor reference photos and will decide whether to leave her hair this light or darken it up - the lighting in the reference photos is golden so it may exaggerate hair color as well.  Grandma, you will have to let me know what reality is.
Got brave and I did start to do the headpiece.  I am going to call it dried flowers, they are small pieces with lots of spaces in between, but got in the initial base coat, just circles of varying sizes, and will continue to darken and lighten and hope it passes for what it is.   Nothing too detailed as I really want the focus to stay on her beautiful smile and eyes. 
Thanks all for stopping by and hope you are having a great week.


Comments

hmuxo said…
Jania is coming along SO beautifully...yes, I measure then measure again...I usually go wrong with the nose...When you're painting a young person...the nose shouldn't be long...Your work is wonderful and look forward to your next post!!!
Jane said…
Oh dear, making portraits resemble is one of the most difficult thing, takes nothing to disturb the overall impression. I can see two small differences : the line you made of the mouth is too long , and the distance from nose to mouth is too big . Ever so slightly... but there. This said I think you are doing great and the portrait will be perfect, the eyes are just stunning !
Nelvia said…
Thanks Hilda, have relearned that I need to critique more, but hoping I can still pull this off
Nelvia said…
Hi Kne thanks for your sharp eye. You found one on my compromises, when I shortened the nose it lengthened the space of the philtrum. I wasn't sure on the mouth, but think you are right, I might be able to correct that t last a bit. Sure Appreciate the input!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo