Watching Finished Tweaks

 Watching
 
Ok, here is the tigress with her final tweaks where I changed some of the color zones - hoping you can't really tell the differences.  Don't think I am going to do anything else to her but put her in a frame.  Let's talk about this unique way of framing pastels.......
Am going to try to frame as Leslie Harrison suggests.  One thing she does I didn't know to do initially was put this piece of velour on foam board before you start painting - next one definitely as velour paper is rather thin and could wrinkle.  Anyway you put velour on board or acid free foam board using a sheet of double-sided adhesive.  Paint away - Then she thoroughly cleans the glass and puts the picture right against the glass (usually in pastel you use the mat space to act as a dust catcher) and then puts in her brads to the frame to make it snug.  She says you get a little dust but she doesn't have any issues.  Hoping for no issues as this isn't going to be snug on the board.  (Putting the double side adhesive to the board and then to the velour sounds rather tricky, will report after I try it).

 
Also wanted to show how I am managing my palettes with multiple pictures.  I got some cookie sheets at the dollar store and put in the pencils or pastels that I am using for that particular picture's palette.  When needed I can just pull the tray and don't have to remember colors.  If I need color notes or color laydown instructions I include them too.  You can see the yellow strafoam (from packages of sausage links) that I use to hold the pastels so they don't run away from me, fall and break.  Also when I am done with the picture I can wash the dust off and I'm good to go for the next one without contaminating the pastel sticks with old dust.  When it can't be cleaned I can throw out and since we keep eating sausages I have a steady stream to replace as I throw away.
Thanks much for stopping by and hope you are having the best week.

Comments

Nancy Goldman said…
This is so beautiful Nelvia. I love how the tigress is peering through the leaves.

I must admit I cringed a bit when I read that you were thinking of having the pastel touch the glass. I have read that the reason for not having artwork in direct contact with the glass is in case moisture is created within your framed artwork. I know that you do have your share of humidity there in the summer so moisture within a framed painting could easily be a problem. I admit that I am no expert and am only going by what is the common way to frame but there must be a reason that having the space between the glass and artwork has become the accepted framing method. Let me know if you have good results if you frame with the pastel touching the glass.
hmuxo said…
I'm anxious to see how it all turns out Nelvia because I wouldn't want anything to happen to your beautiful Tigress which by the way is finished beautifully!!! I guess you can shake the painting as much as you can before you frame it...since it's velour theirs not too much dust.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo