Watching - Tiger WIP & Question Need Help

Ahhh, boy does it feel a lot better doing something more inside my comfort zone.  Just couldn't make myself deal with green today (ok there is a little I did on this, but not like the landscapes).  Decided even with the velour I was going back to work on Watching.  Saw a documentary last night on lions with some previews of a tiger show to come and got excited.

Speaking of the velour, I think I quite like that surface a whole lot better than the sanded paper.  I am going to try several other brands and the pastel mat as well to see if I can find a surface that feels smoother.  I got more Colorfix sheets to have to use up, so there will be more pics on it and maybe by the end I'll know what to do with it.  Fingers crossed.

Today was sketching in definitions, where the black and white zones should be to form the cheek and muzzle areas.  Still playing with underpainting on the beige zones - I am still undecided on what the color and order lay down should be for those areas.  Also missing an individualized hair look. 

Oh oh I am off, this is big error, but nothing I can do since I went ahead and put in the blacks on the top of the forehead.   You can't erase on this and I think that trying to go over it with lighter colors would just make mud.  So think best thing to do is try to increase the black zones, maybe I can get away with that.  I really want the focus on the eyes, so putting the top of the head more in shadow or dark colors would push it back, so black might just be the answer or making bigger leaves?  Think what put me off is this is where I ad libbed adding the leaves.  I do have to find some other way to transfer a complex cartoon better than it worked this time.  Leaves me too much to freehand placements to guess on.  I am pretty excited about this piece so hope that I can resurrect it.

QUESTION: do I try to put shadow areas under the leaves or just leave them as accents. They are pretty small leaves so I am inclined to just leave them without shadow - but bigger grouping is in the center so what are your thoughts please

Comments

hmuxo said…
This is coming along beautifully, Nelvia...I know what you mean about how its difficult to erase those blacks in the velour..... What I do is paint the darks lighter until I know if I want it there.. then darken it later on....

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo