Ballerina


                                                                         Ballerina
                                                                          11"x14"
                                                                       Color Pencil
Well this weeks entertainment is another portrait.  My friend Hilda, a wonderful portrait and pastel artist, has been counseling me on another project - bless you Hilda.  Anyway she suggested I really take my time now that I am in the big time editing frame.

So I pulled this picture back out that I had started during the 30 day challenge.  this picture started out as a graphite that I was going to put color pencil over, but morphed more into a color pencil.  However, I got quite a surprise when I really started working this this support.  I used what I the ought was a premium bristol board, 500 Series Vellum, and much to my dismay it turns out to have a bubbly finish.  Even with super sharp pencils it still had valleys that didn't fill with color.  So lesson learned.

Am still working on complexion colors (anything but grey and browns) and seamless blending.  By the way this wonderful lighted portrait reference was by Viacheslav, on PMP, who does the most beautifully dramatic lighted photos specifically for artists use.  Got a few more picked out to do of his.  I think I am going to try to do this again using the grisaille method and trying out some new toys, interactive acrylics (they should be here shortly).  This really has the most dramatic lighting and I couldn't get there with the color pencil.

Lots of rain in our forecast until midweek so sounds like perfect painting weather to me!!  Thanks for stopping by and have a super week.

Comments

Jane said…
She is so pretty and elegant, and I love the details of the hairpiece , really adds to the picture !
hmuxo said…
Your ballerina is beautiful Nelvia!!! Wonderful pose.....and I agree with Jane. She has an elegant look to her. Lovely work.
Meredith Adler said…
I think the texture somehow adds to the piece, Nelvia :) Really like the subtle neutrals.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo