Pretty As A Penny

Pretty As A Penny
                                                                           11"x14
                                                                              Oil
Well I am going to stop while I am ahead and let this sit on the easel for a while.  I might go back in and make some changes later, but right now I just don't want to overwork or ruin what I have done.
I can't seem to adjust the colors on the computer to actually reflect the painting.

The painting has more color, but have taken and adjusted several times.  Funny how some times the camera makes the pic look better than actual life and other times it is underwhelming.  Guess that is why they talk about working from life.  May be time to get myself back to life modeling sessions heh?

Overall I am pretty happy with this as I have accomplished some things that I haven't done before (mouth with teeth) and for an oil portrait, the first in many years, I am pleased.  I still have so much more to learn and practice, really think we don't ever get it all right.  I know the green is bright in background but I think it helps make this a happy picture.

Am going to work a little bit now with a limited palette, have some examples of Zorn palette (he primarily worked with 4 colors - white, black, red, yellow) suggestions and going to work on color charts to see what I can figure out and then try another portrait using the colors I like.  Might end up in acrylic though as that is where I have the most colors and that brings on a lot of other technique issues.  Ah well, glad each day is exciting and fun.

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Alexander said…
Wow, very nice. Really impressing.Apparently you are not only gifted for animals, but also for portraits.
Meredith Adler said…
Great work, and I related to so much of what you said here, like needing to let a painting rest and how sometimes the photo flatters the painting and sometimes the opposite!

I wanted to congratulate you, too, because I see your painting on DPW today is sold!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo