Grandmother's Hands acrylic portrait

                                                            Grandmother's Hands
                                                                      8"x10"
                                                                     Acrylic
Many thanks to Neil A. Kingsbury, one of my favorite photographers on PMP, for this wonderful reference photo.  He calls it Serenity, which is certainly is, but I loved the hands.

Couple of challenges for me in this piece were the fabric (I didn't emphasize it as much as the photo because I wanted the focus points on the face and hands), the wrinkles (without lines) and of course the hands themselves.

I am continuing to work in this new technique, I call it color blobs with water, and I like the way it gives me lots of texture and different colors and variations in the skin tones, what you would more naturally see.  No, it isn't super realistic, but I do think there is a lot of realism in the pieces done with this.  But I also like the movement and energy or life that this gives subjects.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

hmuxo said…
This is a winner Nelvia!! Beautifully painted.. I love everything about this painting... Her pose, hair, and amazing face!!! AND I LOVE her hands....so difficult to paint but you aced it! Congratulations!!!
Joan Tavolott said…
Your technique worked so well here! Bravo!
Well done, Nelvia! I like the mix of soft (cloth) against the texture of the face and hands which seems a bit impressionistic - a super effect!
Just lovely...that is all I can say !!
Jane said…
Awesome work on hands and wrinkles, and lovely soft expression in her eyes .
Sheila said…
Beautiful work Nelvia :) The light and shadows. Her hands and expression. Really wonderful ;)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo