Homeless graphite study Homel

Homeless
Getting ready for many days of rain - been 21 days since it rained here, so a little precipitation and cooler weather will be much appreciated.   I also finished top dressing my yard, hoping it gives it a kick to fill in as it really didn't do well over the winter.

I had to do blood work yesterday so was reading several small articles about returning veterans.   So many just can't readjust, so much guilt and fear.  So many are homeless and the suicide rate is at an alarming daily amount.  I had pulled this reference because I loved that face, all the lines tell such a story.  I had my starting point.

I wanted to try an experiment, actually several, in this piece.   First this is a very large head - 14"x17" on Bristol paper.  Knew I wanted to work with graphite, so wanted that smooth surface.  I started with yellow and blue underpainting of highlighter markers.  Didn't work too well, way too bright and graphite couldn't tone it down successfully.  Now that smooth paper became a detriment.  So that kick started me into trying to combine either graphite or charcoal with gesso (both clear and white).  Then I wondered if you could work with clear gesso as it gives a bit more texture than the traditional white.   So I was off and running.    

I ended up calling this Homeless, although was I also thinking Soul's Windows - what do you think?

I am going to try using the clear gesso again but with pastels maybe, but you do really get texture.  I do like the way you can get gray tones between the graphite/charcoal and regular gesso. 

Thanks for stopping by and taking a look.


Comments

Sheila said…
I see Homeless. And also Soul's Windows. So much thought, questioning and uncertainty. The color to his features, while it may feel like a mistake, is sort of eerie. It makes his feelings palpable. I almost feel lost and hopeless just gazing at him. ;)
I have read those articles too Nelvia. So sad to me. We are not doing right by the men and women who serve our country. It is irresponsible, and disrespectful, to "cut them loose" without making sure, that they have the resources, have access to the resources they need to readjust. To heal. Wonderful work here my friend, and congrats on your gardening ;)
carol edan said…
Love her soulful eyes!
A fabulous piece Nelvia. I really like the eyes - great job all together!
Joan Tavolott said…
Great job on this...and thanks for explaining your process. You are always willing to experiment and try anything to make your piece work. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo