Believe Girl 2 pastel woman portrait

Believe Girl 2

Today is a bit of sketchbook practice as I wanted to see if I could do color patches with pastel.  Of course I ended up and added probably more than I really wanted to, but I do like the soft result.

When I originally saw this photo it made me think of the 1940s, and I think I am going to use it as one of my challenge pieces, word prompt icons and idols.  The suggested "to paint" picture was of Marilyn Monroe and I will probably do her yet.  Thought this reference in black and white was pretty glamorous.  Not entirely sure this isn't some starlet from days gone by, but don't think so.  I think the thing that really made me think 1940s was the style of the dress (think my great Aunt used to wear something like this and called it a sundress).   The dress and hair flowers are done with a tissue collage and the rest of the piece is primarily pastel.   Necklace is just a little bit of graphite thrown on for a delicate necklace - actual photo was crystal that was popular in that time frame.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

hmuxo said…
She's beautiful Nelvia. She definitely looks like someone in the 1940's... I love the vibrancy of the dress. Wonderful work, as always. I wish I worked as fast as you.!! lol
Wonderful job Nelvia! I like the variety of colours you used in the skin and hair. And, the sparkle in her eye is perfect!
Sheila said…
Beautiful Nelvia :) Her expression is open to many interpretations. I think she just witnessed something she wishes she hadn't seen.
Joan Tavolott said…
I remember those dresses that the ladies wore with the wide straps. Nice look to this...definitely a throwback to the 40s.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo