Her Majesty's Realm

Her Majesty's Realm
I have found it difficult to find reference photos of people with their backs facing us.  So when I saw this pose I knew I wanted to paint it.   Something about this appeals to me, even though it could be considered provocative, it has a sense of innocence about it.  I also love doors and gates and I found a wonderful window with the view to the ocean I felt they were perfect together, and so, it was finally time to paint it.  

This is another mixed media piece.   The stone walls, shutter and her gauzy wrap are all collage, the rest is painted with maybe a little pastel/graphite thrown in.  I am hoping that I got the lighting right as the two pictures weren't really all that compatible.  

For collage paper in this piece I used just simple brown paper bag (on the shutter), cheap brown hand towel (for the walls, it actually has dimples which added to the texture) Handmade tissue/papers (for the walls) and white tissue for the wrap.  I have been experimenting with turning and twisting the papers so that I can create fabric folds which I then highlight or shadow, depending on the need.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Wow! Another super piece Nelvia. You are really going to town with the mixed media - are you having fun?
Sheila said…
This is wonderful Nelvia! The light is amazing, I can see her playful expression. And I love the texture in the walls. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo