Believe Girl I

Believe Girl I
While I am working through my online course I have also started looking at some other tutorials regarding faces from The Art Sherpa (translated that means I am bored with charcoal but got one more lesson and then we get to switch media).  She had a face quest in 2017 where she goes into details and did many tutorials on portraits about working on the face.  Not all of them are really my thing, so I pick out the gems/jewels and if patient enough to watch all the tutorials I usually learn something important.  

One of the looks I really like is the pixelated, abstract, impressionist color, California vibe, blocked color look.  I have been hooked on Art Lover and one of the competitions winners had this style and well, I just fell in love with it.  But, I kind of absolutely have no way of getting there.  I find all kinds of images that you can do with filter and things in photoshop - but I need to train my mind to be photoshop.  So I am going to take Cinnamon's advice (Art Sherpa) and try to draw portraits from the imagination.  

Hence that is going to be my studies in the sketchbook and I am calling them "Believe Girls".  Her feeling is if you believe you can do a face, you can do a face.  I pretty much know how to draw the features and know the measurements so it is time to start using the old imagination too see what will come.   I definitely want to try to learn how to use minimal and colorful stokes/patches of paint to get the shape. 

This is my first go at it and it is done with acrylic, but I did utilize the watercolor technique.

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

carol edan said…
I think you are on the right path. This is exquisite. There is nothing wrong with manipulating photos in PS. Any tool is legit! I suggestion you try Topaz Studio(free). It's compatible with PS.
Sheila said…
Good for you Nelvia :) She is terrific! Very emotional, emotive? I love this idea, and the name you have given them. Looking forward to meeting them:)
laurelle said…
I love this, Nelvia, and I really think this is the way to proceed for a while. As you know, I have participated in a few online classes. I am enrolled right now in the same one as you with Kara Bullock, but I've only done four out of the 27 weeks or so. I do not have Photoshop. It's way too expensive for me and I am not interested for the moment in manipulating anything to stir my imagination or how else will it create by itself. We learn from others, but there comes a point where we just have to rely and trust ourselves. By our own experimentation we learn what works for us.
She is wonderful Nelvia and I think it sounds like a very interesting method of painting. It reminds me of the 'think' method that was used in The Music Man movie - lol.
Joan Tavolott said…
I definitely think you are on to something here. You do faces so well...so why not from your imagination. I like the way you've abstracted this a bit. Well done!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo