Well, one of the best things about this challenge is that I am painting something that I would have never tried and also using colors I would not normally use.  Who knew what you could do with a little lime - other than freshen a gin and tonic.
As you can see I have roughed in the main portion of the kiwi and will start to work on the finishing touches and darkening up the shadows.   Not sure what is the right way to go after this, doing complementary colors or putting in blues/blacks or greys to get the color down, still want to retain the greens - so will continue the experiment.  Also need to fuzzy up the skin.

Have already realized that in the future I will be much more judicious as to where I put in the marker for the base block ins as it usually tends to provide too dark a color for the colored pencil to overwork.  Still at a pretty ugly stage, but starting to come around so more hopeful than before and think when I get the correct values on the large kiwi piece and the dark cast shadow of the front most piece it will set up it dramatically for the light and juicy front piece.  This accenting the front piece will be a departure from the picture but think I'll be able to sell it as getting the most light striking it.  Hey it's my world and I can cast the light where I choose.

Working with the colored pencils is very different than either pastel or acrylic as you just don't cover it up if you make a mistake.  I still have a whole lot of work to figure out the color sequence for correct layer patterns but am most surprised that you can get such deep rich colors and really do love the translucency you get with the white of the paper still showing through - think the smooth really just comes from the solvent melting the wax composition of the pencil  and hope that polishing or burnishing will give me the wet feel of the kiwi at the end.
In every picture I never ceased to be amazed at what the camera sees versus what the eye sees.  Guess that is another really good reason to paint from life.

For your special few who leave me comments, thank you so much, it means a whole lot.  For those who stop by to take a peek, thanks, and have a great day.

Comments

sidmar said…
Beautiful Nelvia ,love the green, happy painting:)

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo