The Dancers WIP

Linda Willison from PMP has ballerinas in her family, and has shared several of their pictures both at practice and I think maybe recitals.  This piece caught my eye immediately as I like the mystery of the dark, and the figures that pull you deeper into the background of the picture.  I also wanted to try the challenge of conveying the translucence of the tutus with the light coming through them.  Many figures or partial figures you can see where the light hits and where the figures are in the darkness.  Also it is really interesting how few strokes you need to convey arms, faces, etc. in the background.  I also am lightening the shadow areas so you have dark, but not all black - guess instead of shades of white, it's shades of black for this picture.
The thalo green areas I tried using airbrush medium to get the really thin acrylic paint that almost is like a glaze but leaves a different texture on the paper.  I really like how this translucent color almost glows.
Thanks much for stopping by and have a great weekend.

Comments

renate said…
Dear Nelvia:) Wow you are on the right track with this one. Already love the girl in the background. Her tutu is beautiful with the green shining through. This is going to be a great one! Very original too. I can see the airbrush medium was a good choise. You keep surprising us:) Have a great weekend too. Liefs:)xxx
hmuxo said…
OHMYGOODNESS!!!! This is going to be spectacular, Nelvia!!! I can't wait to see this one progress!... Move over Degas!!!
I think this is going to be so good, Nelvia! The background people really draw you into the picture but there is still a touch of mystery. - good going!
Nelvia said…
Thanks,,getting ready to do,an update and hope I can keep,it going. Going to,use the airbrush medium to do a,glaze for th background, I like how it thins but doesn't leave the reflective surface. Might just be the answer for a couple of reasons.
Nelvia said…
Degas, he is one of my favorites, wonder if I could bring myself to try one of his paintings? Thanks Hilda.
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, glad you agree with the assumption that the others give depth and movement around the painting. Trying to figure out this composition thing. Thanks for leaving me your thoughts, much appreciated.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo