Up Side Dog

                                                                       Up Side Dog
                                                                           11"x14"
                                                                           Acrylic
Well as part of my New Year's resolutions I wanted to enter more challenges as I have found they make me try things that I haven't done before.  The challenges I have done previously pretty much have been everyone paints the same photo.

This is this week's DPW challenge, The Underwater challenge.  I have moved to this challenge because they give you both a photo you can use or just the subject and then you have to think up what to do.  Thought it might help my creativity.  Well, heck, anyone could paint a fish.

 I had seen this photo on PMP, by Gretchen, the other day when I was looking for inspiration and since I am hung up on water right now I thought this might be the perfect time to paint something that is pretty abstract.  All the reflections I thought were pretty cool.

This is on mat board and I taped off a border and just went at it.   I found this gray paint at Hobby Lobby called Cloudy Grey and I just love it, sort of a blue gray that really tones down Pthalo Green.

Thanks much for taking a look.

Comments

Heel erg mooi gelukt knap hoor Lieve groetjes Danielle
Unknown said…
I love this - the water is absolutely awesome! I am constantly amazed at your abilities and in awe.
hmuxo said…
This definitely looks like a challenge Nelvia!! It looks like a watercolor not acrylic! Lovely work as always!
This is a very strange scene, Nelvia but the execution looks great.
Nelvia said…
Hi Danielle, I hope this find you doing well. Got to take a break and catch up on what you have been doing. Glad you like this one.
Nelvia said…
Hi Diane, thank you. I am as you know constantly working on trying to get the water flowing and am enjoying the study. Thank you so much but the wonderful compliment. Can't wait until we can start painting together. Know we will both grow.
Nelvia said…
Hey there my friend, how is it going up your way? You know I often use acrylic with watercolor techniques. But alas in real life it is more vivid than watercolor. It is subdued somewhat because of the mat color choice I think and I didn't deviate too much from it's value except in the underwater line. Thanks so much for taking a look.
Nelvia said…
Hi Val, yes it is unusual and I guess that is what drew me to it. I did have fun trying to learn how to do the water movement and the light refractions. Very end of the brush and just twirl it as you move it - harder than it sounds, but super light touch. Love it when I learn to so much from a painting.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo