Fence Line Pastel Landscape



                                                                 Fence Line
                                                                   12"x9"
                                                               Mixed Media
Mixed Media, what does that mean.  There is a little of everything in this piece.  This is a quick landscape that I wanted to try to stay not mega detailed and try some different things, in other words just play.  It started off with my making my own support of clear gesso on watercolor paper, this leaves the front with a lightly sanded feel and holds the pastels well (I figured if it didn't work I didn't want to waste a good piece of sanded pastel paper).    Since I was going to add some wet to it I affixed it to a piece of mat board that I had (I do draw/paint on mat board, but this was pretty rough and wouldn't lend itself well due to the pattern, so not a waste to cover it) which gave it a firmer base and didn't allow it to buckle.  First pass was with my pan pastels to get some delicate color on the paper.  Then I used watercolor and ink to make the fence posts and wire fencing.  The grasses and weeds are a mix of pastel and color pencil.  Behind the fence in the reference is actually more snow fields, but I decided to add a bit more blue to it to kind of make it a dreary winter's day.  Yes, it is cold here and you might notice a trend here of winter scenes.

As you can see I am still playing around in Canva, using different social media templates.  Here it just kind of went to another filter all by itself, so I discovered something new because I had to figure out how to correct it.


                             Everything has its beauty, but not everyone sees it - Andy Worhol

Thanks for stopping by to take a look.

Comments

Unknown said…
I really like it. Love the sand/snow with fencing
Joan Tavolott said…
Glad I could zoom in and see this closer. It came out really great! Love those fence posts and and the wire. Leaving out the additional snowy fields behind the fence worked nicely...it just looks like a frosty winter sky. Great use of mixed media.
I really like this one ...simple and lovely.
Nelvia said…
I just added some dabbles at the end and it tended to give that fluffy look. Trying to do some simple landscapes and maybe I'll get the idea of how to do it.
Nelvia said…
Thanks Joan, yes it was one of those experiments that succeeded, gave me ideas and now I have to try more. I like how some of the watercolor, while still soft gives a sharper edge than I can get with the pan pastels.
Nelvia said…
Hi C, thanks for taking a look. Yes, maybe I need to change my mantra to less is more from too much is never enough!!
A lovely piece Nelvia. Great composition and such an interesting technique. I had a quick look at Canva the other day and am still baffled - more study require, I guess.
Janet Bradish said…
Beautiful piece. Just the right amount of everything. Especially love the fence against those beautiful neutrals.

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo