Mountain Sunset pastel

                                                 Red Sky at Night, Sailors Delight
                                                                       14"x11"
                                                                  Mixed Media
Just kind of dinking around trying to get my mojo back after completing a commission.  I always seem to have a downward spiral after a complicated picture.  Anything that seems to come after it I am never satisfied.

But I started this one and by sheer discipline I am finishing it.  This is another mixed media piece that combines my own handmade support, pan pastels, a little watercolor and the foreground is mixed acrylic inks of red/blue/black.  I glued the paper onto a piece of mat board and had more trouble this time with it buckling and lifting off of the board.                          

Also I still haven't figured out how to apply the acrylic inks.  I tried a styro peanut, a quill art pen, the quill end of a feather and still don't like how it goes on.  I bought the inks because I wanted to use them as a base to the pastels but I need it to go on in a different manner in a way that brush stokes won't give me.  So I guess I'll just keep experimenting with how to apply.

Thanks much for stopping by.

Comments

hmuxo said…
This is wonderful Nelvia!!! I'm always amazed how you experiment all the time with different mediums!!! It certainly makes it more interesting!!! I love the colors in this one as well as being one of my favorite scenes.
Joan Tavolott said…
Looks great!! I like how you don't hesitate to combine different media. I haven't worked with acrylic inks so I can't offer any advice.
The process for this sounds very complicated but I guess experimenting can be - what a challenge, Nelvia! Good luck.
Janet Bradish said…
Love the lights and darks - this is a lovely painting! I feel the cold. The touches of 'pink' in the sky add a touch of warmth! Not sure if this will be of any use to you, but when I use acrylic inks I like to use a bamboo pen (has two ends - thick & thin, I sometimes soak it a bit so will pick up the ink easier) or calligraphy nibs, especially the crow quill nib. I buy them at art supply stores. For new nibs, light a match and run the nib through it a couple of times, they seem to work better - have a thin coating of oil on them. (Tried calligraphy - not my thing - but I think my line work is better because of it!)
Nelvia said…
I like to try things as there are folks doing such really neat stuff. I always love my mountains no matter where they Are


Nelvia said…
I am trying to remember it is just a piece of paper so if it doesn't work, no big deal. Not sure that acrylic inks are going to be any better than watercolor except in intensity
Nelvia said…
I guess any time you try something new we tend to make it probably more complicated than it really is, but it is always fun to see the result
Nelvia said…
Will,give those a shot, I also think I will try a sponge, plastic credit card, shelf liner and netting. Something will work!!

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo