All Out acrylic horse race



All Out
Acrylic
24"x18"
Think this is completed, All Out is a combination of two photos from Ian Quigley, a photographer from PMP.  I needed to go back and put these guys in more traditional Mongolian outer wear, since I didn't think hoodies would tell the story quite as well.  I am always amazed at how all parts of the world have access to and wear Western clothing.

The challenge here was to get a softer blended background that looked like dust was roiling around.  I also wanted to see if I could get suggestions of dust over solid bodies and make it transparent enough to see the solid form behind.   I got that effect by first spraying the paper, adding my dobs of paint mixtures, respraying with water and then using a soft cosmetic brush to light swirl the paint around and move it as well as soften the edges.  I think if I had actually been using canvas instead of paper that it would have moved even better.

The quality of the photos was quite dark, so there is quite a bit of make-it-up going on in this piece.  But overall I am happy with the result.  

Can you tell by the way this is painted which guy I wanted to win?

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I just love the swirling dust. This is a wonderful piece filled with movement and energy. Well done!
Sheila said…
Awesome dust, and the movement is exciting :) The guy in back?
You did a great job with this Nelvia! The sense of movement in the horses and men and the swirling dust are super. Fabulous!
hmuxo said…
Nelvia, this is outstanding!! I agree with everyone....the movement is amazing as well as their expressive faces. Bravo!!!!! More please!!!!!
Nelvia said…
I like this and think I might be getting closer to more expressive painting. Not looking for anything but movement and feeling. I feel I got both here as well.
Nelvia said…
I am thrilled that you guys are seeing what I am try to communicate, hoping I am getting closer to my story telling goals
Nelvia said…
Oh Hilda, thank you so much. You know the faces, I wanted them to not be detailed but tell their own story. This is exciting and hoping a break through to my growth and story telling abilities

Popular posts from this blog

Shades of Pink

Day 10 30 Day Challenge Molten Gold pastel landscape

Rumba acrylic portrait of dancers