All Out acrylic horse race



All Out
Acrylic
24"x18"
Think this is completed, All Out is a combination of two photos from Ian Quigley, a photographer from PMP.  I needed to go back and put these guys in more traditional Mongolian outer wear, since I didn't think hoodies would tell the story quite as well.  I am always amazed at how all parts of the world have access to and wear Western clothing.

The challenge here was to get a softer blended background that looked like dust was roiling around.  I also wanted to see if I could get suggestions of dust over solid bodies and make it transparent enough to see the solid form behind.   I got that effect by first spraying the paper, adding my dobs of paint mixtures, respraying with water and then using a soft cosmetic brush to light swirl the paint around and move it as well as soften the edges.  I think if I had actually been using canvas instead of paper that it would have moved even better.

The quality of the photos was quite dark, so there is quite a bit of make-it-up going on in this piece.  But overall I am happy with the result.  

Can you tell by the way this is painted which guy I wanted to win?

Thanks much for stopping by and taking a look.

Comments

Joan Tavolott said…
I just love the swirling dust. This is a wonderful piece filled with movement and energy. Well done!
Sheila said…
Awesome dust, and the movement is exciting :) The guy in back?
You did a great job with this Nelvia! The sense of movement in the horses and men and the swirling dust are super. Fabulous!
hmuxo said…
Nelvia, this is outstanding!! I agree with everyone....the movement is amazing as well as their expressive faces. Bravo!!!!! More please!!!!!
Nelvia said…
I like this and think I might be getting closer to more expressive painting. Not looking for anything but movement and feeling. I feel I got both here as well.
Nelvia said…
I am thrilled that you guys are seeing what I am try to communicate, hoping I am getting closer to my story telling goals
Nelvia said…
Oh Hilda, thank you so much. You know the faces, I wanted them to not be detailed but tell their own story. This is exciting and hoping a break through to my growth and story telling abilities

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo