Alter Ego - a Challenge

Ok I admit that my thought process is getting a little weird, (I prefer to think of me going avant guarde) and as someone in this house says, and he shall remain nameless, no one is going to get this, how would anyone get this and why would you paint such a thing??? 
Paint My Photo, check it out at http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/, has several monthly challenges, in different media.  For March, the color challenge was to select a B&W photo and paint it in wild, bold colorful colors - think Spring.  I saw this classy lady's photo from Alex Lee Johnson,  http://paintmyphoto.ning.com/photo/classic-ashleigh, and immediately thought of going Andy Warhol, (doing it all in graphite but the eyes and lips) but someone beat me to the Andy Warhol look before I even had my first cup of tea.  I also wanted to try some of the unusual colors that I have seen one of my favorite pastel artists, Harley Brown, use in his paintings - he always says that if you have the right values, any color will look ok.  So I had to do something else, couldn't Andy Warholize it and I am much more realism than contemporary abstract so ....  I am trying to learn GIMP and figured out how to flip an image and thought why not do the B&W tones in graphite and put the wild colors in reverse.  Now if I really wanted to get psychological I could say that all of us staid, traditional, conservative people have a wild side too!!  NOT :)  But alas the real reason is it was just really liberating and fun to do this piece and I think I got the best of both worlds.

So my fellow blogettes, what's a girl to do:
               Continue on the path and let the right brain loose
                                                 or
               Stick to the realism Nelvia
More tomorrow on the poster and I've got some info on the colors of daylight by the hour I would like to share - going to do the color charting today I hope.
Thanks for stopping by and hope you are having a great week - it's TGIF folks !!!!

Comments

Alexander said…
http://www.riccimer.blogspot.co.at/2012/01/portrait.html

like this?

I think that sounds wonderful. Let it loose and just take the jump into the cold water. Maybe your paintings will not be immediatly what you have imagined, but you will collect quite som experience and knowledge. And then you will paint/draw what you want. Being very cuious now. So in essence Don't ask Jump!
Jane said…
Just let your brain loose and paint what you feel/ like , and I definitely love these two sides of the same lady, awesome work Nelia !
Jane said…
Sorry, I meant Nelvia :-)))
Nelvia said…
Hey A, know you would get it, horray for one male!!, I am going to try to continue to pursue. Kind of cool to see what comes out, sure surprises me. I am going to jump Bro
Nelvia said…
Hi Jane, thanks for your comments. You kind of contributed you know since you have been doing so many abstracts lately and loved your portrait with the non-traditional colors. Funny what clicks under given circumstances isn't? Didn't even know that was in me, but glad it was.
Helen said…
My vote... stick with "Realism Nelvia" for the most part, but let that right side out to play every so often.
H

Popular posts from this blog

Bold woman's portrait

Her Highness mixed media woman portrait

In The Garden acrylic painting Redo